Principal's Newsletter 4/22/2022
Sellwood Principal’s Newsletter – April 22, 2022
Greetings Sellwood Community,
On Tuesday night, the PPS school board voted to approve the school calendar for the 2022-23 school year. We are now in the 4th quarter, and I know many of you would like to finalize your summer plans. Here it is, hot off the press.
Read on about the upcoming PTA elections, the PTA garden tour fundraiser, staff appreciation week, and opportunities to volunteer on the Sellwood Foundation Board next year.
Enjoy the weekend!
Sellwood MS Principal
PTA elections for next year will be held at our PTA meeting on May 11th. Please join us as we vote in next year's PTA board. Reach out to us if you are interested in joining the PTA next year! email@example.com
Sellwood Garden Tour
Check out our website and buy tickets to the Garden Tour! All proceeds go back to Sellwood. 5 homes will be opening their outdoor spaces to the community for a self guided tour on May 22nd from 11-4. Great event to do with family and friends!
Staff Appreciation Week starts May 2nd!
We need your help feeding Sellwood's amazing staff lunch that week. We will be bringing in different crock pot options for 4 days of lunches. Head to Konstella to sign up! Let's show Sellwood's staff and teachers how much we appreciate them!
Please help carry on the important job of the Sellwood Foundation, by volunteering to be on the board next year. The present board has been in service for two years, and we are all retiring. We are looking for folks to carry on these very important jobs for the 2022-2023 school year. Please email Amy Bourne with any questions about the roles. firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLEVELAND 2022-23 VARSITY DANCE TEAM TRYOUTS
Dance Team tryouts at Cleveland High School are coming up! Join us on May 10th and 12th from 5:30-7:30pm to try out for our 2022-2023 Varsity Dance Team! Tryout packets available in the school office, and the main office at Cleveland High School. Interested in trying out but unable to make the dates? Email clevelandtenacitydance@
Cleveland Tenacity Dance Team Coach
OPPORTUNITIES, CAMPS, and CLASSES
- Verselandia! (April 28, 2022 Flier) (Educator Invitation)
- OSU STEM Academy AWSEM Club Spring Dates (English) (Spanish)
- VIBE of Portland Art Camps, Classes, No-School Workshops
- VIBE of Portland East Winds Summer Camp
- OSU Summer Reading Program
- Multnomah Early Childhood Program: (English) (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- Portland Parks & Recreation Preschool 2022-2023 Registration
Use Schoolpay to purchase the yearbook now. Students are working to capture our memories of this school year, and for $20, you can make sure you get a copy in June.
The best way to schedule an appointment with us is by filling out the Counselor Check-In Request Form or emailing us directly. Messages sent through Canvas are not always responded to promptly.
RACE, RACISM, & RACIAL EQUITY RESOURCES
- “What is Systemic Racism?” videos from RaceForward
- Racism Interruptions sentence frames (see PDF in folder)
- “Why Aren’t There More Black People in Oregon? A Hidden History” (Walidah Imarisha)
- Open Monday to Friday, School Hours
The best way to reach us is by email.
- Melissa Whiteside (email@example.com) is our school secretary.
- Claire Howard (firstname.lastname@example.org) is our principal’s secretary.
The Office Phone Number
- The office phone number is 503-916-5656.
- When prompted, press 4 for Melissa or “Attendance”; press 3 for Claire.
- You can also press 0 for the front counter where often students help us answer the phone and direct communication.
- Sellwood is now a locked and secure building.
- Please ring the doorbell to the right of the main doors to reach the office. We will guide you accordingly.
- Arrangements can be made with the office staff for student pick up, a student arriving late, or any other matter that may require meeting a parent/guardian at the front door. If you know of such needs in advance, please email either Melissa or Claire.
Guides to Help you:
- For questions about your student’s absence: Log into ParentVue.
- To make changes to your student's registration in Synergy: ParentVue/StudentVue
Please email Melissa (email@example.com) for:
- Attendance: If you need to excuse your child's attendance.
- Passwords: If you have forgotten your password, have been locked out of your account, or do not have login credentials.
- Registration, Enrollment.
- ParentVue (if your account has been disabled).
Please email Claire (firstname.lastname@example.org) for:
- School Pay.
- Bookkeeping/accounting issues.
- Administrative Support: Messages or matters of support to the principal or assistant principals.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
- May 2-6: Staff Appreciation Week
- May 12 – Ambassador Awards
- May 17 – Spring Band Concert
- May 18 & 19 – Outdoor School (Day Trips returning at 5:30PM)
- May 25 – Spring Marimba Concert
- May 30 – Memorial Day – No School
- June 2 – Showcase Night – 5:30-8:00 PM
- June 7 – 8th-grade trip to OAKS Park
- June 10 – Oaks Park – 6th & 7th graders 9:30 to 12:PM
- June 10 – 8th-grade promotion 10:30 AM
- June 10 – Last Day of School (half-day ending at 12:30)