Principal's Newsletter 5/6/2022
Sellwood Principal’s Newsletter – May 6, 2022
Greetings Sellwood Community,
When we have a lot of rainy weather, I like to remind myself that rain is what makes the PNW so beautiful, especially when it comes to our lovely gardens! You may have heard about the Sellwood Garden Tour coming up on May 22, sponsored by the PTA. Find the details about the garden tour in the PTA section below, and also read the article in the Oregonian. The garden tour is a great way to spend a lovely day outdoors, get ideas for your own garden, and support Sellwood Middle School at the same time.
Hope to see you there!
Sellwood MS Principal
Sellwood Garden Tour
Please help us make the Sellwood Garden Tour a success!
- Buy tickets; www.
- Spread the word to friends, family, neighbors, community groups
- Volunteer at the event (see spots on Konstella)
The tour is showcased in the Oregonian this week. Exciting to see our school in the news!
Sellwood Dines Out
Mark your calendar for our May Dines Out on 5/17 at PDX Sliders.
May PTA Meeting
Join us at our May PTA meeting this coming Wednesday 5/11. We will be voting in the new board for next year. Please contact us if you are interested in joining the board! email@example.com
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 862 4206 9110
Staff Appreciation Week
Many thanks to all who brought in food this week for the staff! And thank you for sending staff any sign of appreciation this week. I know the staff felt the community's support. Thank you also to Rachel McDonald and Allison Eshel for coordinating everything this week. You both did an amazing job!
Please help carry on the important job of the Sellwood Foundation, by volunteering to be on the board next year. The present board has been in service for two years, and we are all retiring. We are looking for folks to carry on these very important jobs for the 2022-2023 school year. Please email Amy Bourne with any questions about the roles. firstname.lastname@example.org.
WARRIOR TENNIS CAMP
Learn to play tennis, or improve your skills. Open to current 7th and 8th-graders. Starts July 1st. See the attached flyer for details.
CLEVELAND 2022-23 VARSITY DANCE TEAM TRYOUTS
Dance Team tryouts at Cleveland High School are coming up! 8th-graders who are interested Join us on May 10th and 12th from 5:30-7:30pm to try out for our 2022-2023 Varsity Dance Team! Tryout packets available in the school office, and the main office at Cleveland High School. Bring the completed packet to tryouts, signed by all of your teachers and counselors. Interested in trying out but unable to make the dates? Email clevelandtenacitydance@
Cleveland Tenacity Dance Team Coach
OPPORTUNITIES, CAMPS, and CLASSES
- Summer Acceleration Academy webpage
- PIL Math Trajectory Summer Program (McDaniel)
- PIL Math Trajectory Summer Program (Roosevelt)
- Benson Tech Youth United Multi-Sport Summer Camp
- Adapted PE Field Day (K-8 flier) (9-12 flier)
- Cognizart 360 Arts Summer Camp
- Verselandia! (April 28, 2022 Flier) (Educator Invitation)
- OSU STEM Academy AWSEM Club Spring Dates (English) (Spanish)
- VIBE of Portland Art Camps, Classes, No-School Workshops
- VIBE of Portland East Winds Summer Camp
- OSU Summer Reading Program
- Multnomah Early Childhood Program (English) (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- Portland Parks & Recreation Preschool 2022-2023 Registration
Use Schoolpay to purchase the yearbook now. Students are working to capture our memories of this school year, and for $20, you can make sure you get a copy in June.
Why are so many American teenagers feeling anxious, depressed, and even suicidal? Learn more and take a look into the science behind the teen mental health crisis in this New York Times video.
The best way to schedule an appointment with us is by filling out the Counselor Check-In Request Form or emailing us directly. Messages sent through Canvas are not always responded to promptly.
Students with last names A-L: Mr. KB – email@example.com
Students with last names M-Z: Ms. Katie – firstname.lastname@example.org
Working with a variety of students: Ms. Susan – email@example.com
RACE, RACISM, & RACIAL EQUITY RESOURCES
- “What is Systemic Racism?” videos from RaceForward
- Racism Interruptions sentence frames (see PDF in folder)
- “Why Aren’t There More Black People in Oregon? A Hidden History” (Walidah Imarisha)
- Open Monday to Friday, School Hours
The best way to reach us is by email.
- Melissa Whiteside (firstname.lastname@example.org) is our school secretary.
- Claire Howard (email@example.com) is our principal’s secretary.
The Office Phone Number
- The office phone number is 503-916-5656.
- When prompted, press 4 for Melissa or “Attendance”; press 3 for Claire.
- You can also press 0 for the front counter where often students help us answer the phone and direct communication.
- Sellwood is now a locked and secure building.
- Please ring the doorbell to the right of the main doors to reach the office. We will guide you accordingly.
- Arrangements can be made with the office staff for student pick up, a student arriving late, or any other matter that may require meeting a parent/guardian at the front door. If you know of such needs in advance, please email either Melissa or Claire.
Guides to Help you:
- For questions about your student’s absence: Log into ParentVue.
- To make changes to your student's registration in Synergy: ParentVue/StudentVue
Please email Melissa (firstname.lastname@example.org) for:
- Attendance: If you need to excuse your child's attendance.
- Passwords: If you have forgotten your password, have been locked out of your account, or do not have login credentials.
- Registration, Enrollment.
- ParentVue (if your account has been disabled).
Please email Claire (email@example.com) for:
- School Pay.
- Bookkeeping/accounting issues.
- Administrative Support: Messages or matters of support to the principal or assistant principals.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
- May 11 – PTA Meeting, 7PM https://us02web.zoom.us/j/
- May 12 – Ambassador Awards
- May 17 – Spring Band Concert 7pm
- May 18 & 19 – Outdoor School (Day Trips returning at 5:30PM)
- May 25 – Spring Marimba Concert 7pm
- May 30 – Memorial Day – No School
- June 2 – Showcase Night – 5:30-8:00 PM
- June 7 – 8th-grade trip to OAKS Park
- June 10 – Oaks Park – 6th & 7th graders 9:30 to 12:PM
- June 10 – 8th-grade promotion 10:30 AM
- June 10 – Last Day of School (half-day ending at 12:30)