Principal's Newsletter 5.20.2022
Sellwood Principal’s Newsletter – May 20, 2022
Greetings Sellwood Community,
At last, the sun is coming out this weekend! I hope everyone has an opportunity to enjoy the spring weather.
Don’t forget that the PTA’s Garden Tour, benefitting Sellwood Middle School, is this Sunday.
I hope to run into you there!
Sellwood MS Principal
Sellwood Garden Tour
The Garden Tour is this Sunday!
- If you would like to volunteer, please sign up on Konstella!
CLEVELAND HS IB INFORMATION NIGHT FOR MS STUDENTS
Want to know about the International Baccalaureate (IB) program at Cleveland HS? Then this virtual information
**Hosted by Hosford PTSA and Cleveland IB**
Do you have a 6th grader who attended Llewellyn, or do you live in Westmoreland or Sellwood? The Sellwood Foundation is building its board for next year and we are actively seeking members from each neighborhood that feeds into Sellwood Middle School. It is important to us that our group represents all of the Sellwood community and at this time we do not have a member from the Westmoreland/Sellwood neighborhoods. If you are interested and learning more, please email Amy Bourne for more information. ajbourne02@
TIE YOUNG ENTREPRENEURS SUMMER CAMP
Time: 8 am - 12 pm (Breakfast and Lunch will be served!)
Location: Portland area (specific locations TBD)
Description: The "Start Your Startup Summer Camp" will challenge and empower students to become the next generation of entrepreneurs, business, and community leaders. During this week-long camp, students will be guided into an entrepreneurial mindset of solving problems through invention. By the end of the week, students will have identified a problem, come up with a viable solution, prototyped their product, and will pitch their invention and business to their peers.
For further details, feel free to reply to this email or contact our Program Manager Nicole Marris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any interested students may also visit the TiE Start Your Startup Summer Camp website at this link for more information - Start Your Startup Summer Camp - TiE Oregon
Here are some pictures of Jaco celebrating our Mental Health spirit week! Have a great weekend!!!
Monday- Purple to support those with eating disorders
Tuesday- Green to end the stigma around mental health
Wednesday- Yellow to support suicide prevention
Thursday- Teal to support those struggling with substance abuse and addiction
Friday- Red to support those struggling with anxiety
Students with last names A-L: Mr. KB – email@example.com
Students with last names M-Z: Ms. Katie – firstname.lastname@example.org
Working with a variety of students: Ms. Susan – email@example.com
OPPORTUNITIES, CAMPS, and CLASSES
- Bustin’ Barriers Summer Camps for Kids Experiencing Disability
- Saturday Academy Summer STEAM Camps & Classes
- Portland Metro Fire Summer Camp
- Summer Acceleration Academy webpage
- PIL Math Trajectory Summer Program (McDaniel)
- PIL Math Trajectory Summer Program (Roosevelt)
- Benson Tech Youth United Multi-Sport Summer Camp
- Adapted PE Field Day (K-8 flier) (9-12 flier)
- Cognizart 360 Arts Summer Camp
- Verselandia! (April 28, 2022 Flier) (Educator Invitation)
- OSU STEM Academy AWSEM Club Spring Dates (English) (Spanish)
- VIBE of Portland Art Camps, Classes, No-School Workshops
- VIBE of Portland East Winds Summer Camp
- OSU Summer Reading Program
- Multnomah Early Childhood Program (English) (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- Portland Parks & Recreation Preschool 2022-2023 Registration
Use Schoolpay to purchase the yearbook now. Students are working to capture our memories of this school year, and for $20, you can make sure you get a copy in June.
RACE, RACISM, & RACIAL EQUITY RESOURCES
- “What is Systemic Racism?” videos from RaceForward
- Racism Interruptions sentence frames (see PDF in folder)
- “Why Aren’t There More Black People in Oregon? A Hidden History” (Walidah Imarisha)
- Open Monday to Friday, School Hours
The best way to reach us is by email.
- Melissa Whiteside (firstname.lastname@example.org) is our school secretary.
- Claire Howard (email@example.com) is our principal’s secretary.
The Office Phone Number
- The office phone number is 503-916-5656.
- When prompted, press 4 for Melissa or “Attendance”; press 3 for Claire.
- You can also press 0 for the front counter where often students help us answer the phone and direct communication.
- Sellwood is now a locked and secure building.
- Please ring the doorbell to the right of the main doors to reach the office. We will guide you accordingly.
- Arrangements can be made with the office staff for student pick up, a student arriving late, or any other matter that may require meeting a parent/guardian at the front door. If you know of such needs in advance, please email either Melissa or Claire.
Guides to Help you:
- For questions about your student’s absence: Log into ParentVue.
- To make changes to your student's registration in Synergy: ParentVue/StudentVue
Please email Melissa (firstname.lastname@example.org) for:
- Attendance: If you need to excuse your child's attendance.
- Passwords: If you have forgotten your password, have been locked out of your account, or do not have login credentials.
- Registration, Enrollment.
- ParentVue (if your account has been disabled).
Please email Claire (email@example.com) for:
- School Pay.
- Bookkeeping/accounting issues.
- Administrative Support: Messages or matters of support to the principal or assistant principals.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
- May 25 – Spring Marimba Concert 7pm
- May 30 – Memorial Day – No School
- June 1 – Spring Band Concert 7PM
- June 2 – Showcase Night – 5:30-8:00 PM
- June 7 – 8th-grade trip to OAKS Park
- June 10 – Oaks Park – 6th & 7th graders 9:30 to 12:PM
- June 10 – 8th-grade promotion 10:30 AM
- June 10 – Last Day of School (half-day ending at 12:30)