Principal's Newsletter 6/10/2022
Sellwood Principal’s Newsletter – June 10, 2022
Greetings Sellwood Community,
We have reached the final day of the 2021-22 school year. Despite the many challenges, it was a school year full of learning, laughter, and love.
Today we celebrated 8th-grade promotion for our current 8th-graders. Congratulations, high school class of 2026! 6th and 7th graders had a fun time at Oaks Park this morning as well. We had some luck with the rain holding off till this afternoon!
We are currently finalizing student schedules for next year, and plan to send them in the mail next week. More information about the upcoming school year will be forthcoming.
I wish you all a few months of rest, relaxation, and some old-fashioned fun.
Enjoy the summer.
Sellwood MS Principal
2022 SUMMER WARRIOR CAMP AT CLEVELAND HIGH SCHOOL
Learn to play Basketball the Warrior way!
June 21-23 9 am - noon (current 3rd-5th graders)
June 21-23 1 pm- 4 pm (current 6th-8th graders)
Cost is $50.
Sign up and pay at https://sites.google.com/
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Cleveland HS Women's Basketball
OHSU SCREENING TESTING SUMMER
- OHSU screening testing available July 11 - August 5th
- Students who are currently enrolled in OHSU Screening Testing and also enrolled in Summer Acceleration Academy will be automatically enrolled. As always, students may opt-out at any time. The opt out process is simply to uncheck the OHSU Screening Testing box in Synergy.
- Data entry and program management will be supported centrally, Summer Acceleration Academy administrators and office staff will not be required to enter data into Synergy.
- Families who would like to continue testing but are not enrolled in summer academy can submit samples at their chosen summer academy site by dropping at office on identified weekly pickup day. Please include this language (or similar) in a message to families this week:
- OHSU Screening testing will be supported for PPS students July 11th through August 5th. Samples will be collected at Summer Acceleration Academy sites on Wednesdays while Summer Acceleration Academy is in session. Please ensure that your students’ sample is in the office of your identified Summer Acceleration Academy site between 9 am and 11:30 am.
- If your student is currently enrolled, and you need additional sample collection kits for the weeks of July 11th through August 5th, please contact your school office. Summer Acceleration Academy will not be able to support enrollment or supply needs of students who are not participating in their program.
- OHSU Screening Testing Fall:
- Fall will have a new online enrollment process; central office will work with schools to support family enrollment for those who do not have technology readily available.
NINTH GRADE COUNTS 2022 SUMMER PROGRAMS
Guide to free and low-cost summer transition programs for rising 9th graders in Portland and Multnomah County. Guide.
OPPORTUNITIES, CAMPS, and CLASSES
- Bustin’ Barriers Summer Camps for Kids Experiencing Disability
- Saturday Academy Summer STEAM Camps & Classes
- Portland Metro Fire Summer Camp
- Summer Acceleration Academy webpage
- PIL Math Trajectory Summer Program (McDaniel)
- PIL Math Trajectory Summer Program (Roosevelt)
- Benson Tech Youth United Multi-Sport Summer Camp
- Adapted PE Field Day (K-8 flier) (9-12 flier)
- Cognizart 360 Arts Summer Camp
- Verselandia! (April 28, 2022 Flier) (Educator Invitation)
- OSU STEM Academy AWSEM Club Spring Dates (English) (Spanish)
- VIBE of Portland Art Camps, Classes, No-School Workshops
- VIBE of Portland East Winds Summer Camp
- OSU Summer Reading Program
- Multnomah Early Childhood Program (English) (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- Portland Parks & Recreation Preschool 2022-2023 Registration
Students with last names A-L: Mr. KB – email@example.com
Students with last names M-Z: Ms. Katie – firstname.lastname@example.org
Working with a variety of students: Ms. Susan – email@example.com
RACE, RACISM, & RACIAL EQUITY RESOURCES
- “What is Systemic Racism?” videos from RaceForward
- Racism Interruptions sentence frames (see PDF in folder)
- “Why Aren’t There More Black People in Oregon? A Hidden History” (Walidah Imarisha)
The best way to reach us is by email.
- Melissa Whiteside (firstname.lastname@example.org) is our school secretary.
- Claire Howard (email@example.com) is our principal’s secretary.
The Office Phone Number
- The office phone number is 503-916-5656.
- When prompted, press 4 for Melissa or “Attendance”; press 3 for Claire.
- You can also press 0 for the front counter where often students help us answer the phone and direct communication.
- Sellwood is now a locked and secure building.
- Please ring the doorbell to the right of the main doors to reach the office. We will guide you accordingly.
- Arrangements can be made with the office staff for student pick up, a student arriving late, or any other matter that may require meeting a parent/guardian at the front door. If you know of such needs in advance, please email either Melissa or Claire.
Guides to Help you:
- For questions about your student’s absence: Log into ParentVue.
- To make changes to your student's registration in Synergy: ParentVue/StudentVue
Please email Melissa (firstname.lastname@example.org) for:
- Attendance: If you need to excuse your child's attendance.
- Passwords: If you have forgotten your password, have been locked out of your account, or do not have login credentials.
- Registration, Enrollment.
- ParentVue (if your account has been disabled).
Please email Claire (email@example.com) for:
- School Pay.
- Bookkeeping/accounting issues.
- Administrative Support: Messages or matters of support to the principal or assistant principals.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
August 30 – First day of the 2022-23 school year