MISSION: Working together through social justice standards, student voice, critical dialogue, and meaningful action, the Vestal Community will strengthen our academic proficiency and social and emotional skills thereby creating and sustaining a forward thinking caring school and community.
What does is mean to be a Social Justice School?
- Students will learn about empathy, anti-bullying, community, and restorative practices through applying a justice level within our school community.
- Students will be able to define social justice, articulate a local injustice, research, and advocate for a local change.
- Students will practice critical thinking through studying LOCAL issues,partnering with local organizations, and creating noticeable change.
- Students will apply a local social justice lens to a local problem at each grade level.
- Students will present authentic solutions to relevant audiences.
- Students will end every school year with a portfolio of their learning around social justice and the action they have taken.
- Vestal school will become a community center for dialogue and discourse around both local and global social justice issues.
- Vestal school will be a ‘live museum’ of people and movements for Social Justice.
ACADEMIC ENGAGEMENT • INDIVIDUAL AND FAMILY IDENTITY • COMMUNITY DIVERSITY • SOCIAL JUSTICE • LOCAL ACTION