What is SUN?
Schools Uniting Neighborhoods is a county-wide system implemented at 67 schools! SUN is a collaboration of 6 Portland School Districts, Multnomah County, Portland Parks and Rec. and local non-profits. Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization, IRCO, is the lead agency for Rigler SUN. The mission of IRCO is to promote the integration of refugees, immigrants, and the community at large into a self-sufficient, healthy, and inclusive multiethnic society.
Rigler SUN program seeks to: improve the lives of children, their families and the community through partnering with local school communities to extend the school day and develop Rigler school as a "community center" in the Cully neighborhood.
- What services does SUN offer?
- Homework help, tutoring, academic classes, art, sports, music, and other fun activities
- FACES (Family and Community Engagement Specialists)
- PCDS (Parent Child Development Services)
- A safe and supportive space
- Classes for adults, parent education
- Cultural and community events
- Resources and referrals
- Volunteer opportunities and much more!
How does SUN work?
SUN functions in conjunction with Rigler Administration, staff, volunteers, PTA, parent/guardians, students and the community at-large. We are an integral part of the school community, we are bridge builders, mentors and friends, and we have fun while learning. We look forward to seeing you in the halls, in your classrooms, after school and at events.
What do I do after school if I am in SUN?
2:15pm - Meet at the blacktop to sign-in
2:20-2:45 - Sign-in and snack in the cafeteria
2:45-3:00 - Recess
3:00-3:45 - Homework and game time
3:45-5:00 - Class time
5:00 - Pick-up, goodbye!