Battle of the Books
Oregon Battle of the Books (OBOB) is a voluntary reading incentive program. At Abernethy, students in grades 3-5 are eligible to participate in teams of 4 or 5 students and at least one parent coach. Teams will meet together to divide work and prepare for school-wide battles, which will take place in late January and early February. Each battle consists of 16 questions all relating to a list of books chosen by the State OBOB committee (see booklist below). One winning team from Abernethy will go on to Regionals and potentially State Finals.
If your student is interested in participating, the first steps are to start reading the OBOB book list and start looking for potential teammates. Plan to attend Parent Info Night on October 16, 2019.
2020 OBOB 3-5 Division Booklist
- The Ark Plan by Laura Martin
- Aru Shah and the End of Time by Roshani Chokshi
- Clayton Bird Goes Underground by Rita Williams-Garcia
- Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
- Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
- Joey Pigza Swalloed the Key by Jack Gantos
- Just Dance by Patricia MacLachlan
- Malala: My Story of Standing Up for Girls' Rights by Malala Yousafzai
- Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
- Out of Left Field by Ellen Klages
- Paper Wishes by Lois Sepahban
- Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
- Riding Freedom by Pam Muñoz Ryan
- Stef Soto, Taco Queen by Jennifer Torres
- Wishtree by Katherine Applegate
- The Wizards of Once by Cressida Cowell
- 10/16: OBOB coach/parent meeting, 6:00 pm Abernethy
- 10/17: OBOB Team registration is open.
- 11/20: OBOB Team registration closed.
- 12/17: Mock Battle at Abernethy, 5:30pm, Room 2A (in the breezeway, by the playground & garden)
- This is a demonstration battle by experienced teams followed by informal practice rounds
Jan/February: School Tournament & Celebration
- 1/30, 3:45-6:15pm: Round Robin battles, all teams
- 2/6, 3:45-6:15pm: Round Robin battles, all teams
- 2/13, 3:45-6:15pm: Round Robin battles, semifinals
- 2/20, 3:45-6:15pm: Round Robin battles, final championship
- 2/27, 6:00pm: Game Night Celebration
March TBD: Regionals
April TBD: State Championship
Each OBOB team is composed of 4-5 members. Four members can participate in any one battle, and there is room for an alternate team member, who may participate in none, some, or all of the battles. The use/role of the alternate is up to each team to decide, within the official OBOB rules.
Members can be any student at Abernethy Elementary in 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade. Teams can be mixed ages, grades, and gender.
Teams are assembled independently by students and parent coaches; they are not assigned by anyone. However if you would like help finding a team, we are happy to do that. Often times students will begin talking with peers about who is on who's team. This can get confusing, so it's helpful to organize your team as early as possible!
Check back here on October 17 for a link to register your team and submit payment of $25 per team via SchoolPay. The $25 per team goes towards purchasing library copies of OBOB books and funding our Game Night Celebration/pizza party for all teams in February.
Please ensure your team is fully formed with a designated adult coach before registering. Coaches complete one registration form per team.
ABERNETHY BOB CONTACTS
General Information - abernethyBOBinfo @ gmail.com
QUIZLET- an online quiz and study guide generator
OBOB Reading Log for 2017-18 (doc) - assign books to team members and track progress
OBOB Practice Question Templates (pdf)
FAQ for Parents and Coaches (pdf)
Example of 'Round Robin' scoring sheet from a previous year of OBOB
Battle score sheet - official score sheet that coaches use to track points during battles
Official OBOB Handbook - general info on BOB, including battle rules