Abernethy teachers have been engaged in professional development regarding the CCSS. More specifically, our teachers have been focusing on the shifts that have occurred and will be occurring in literacy and math instruction. The information and sites listed below can offer you a more in depth look at the CCSS and how they will impact your child's educational experience at Abernethy.
For general information regarding the standards, how they were created, and what states are involved visit Common Core State Standards Initiative.
The Oregon Department of Education has considerable resources available for parents, teachers and students to learn more about the CCSS. The Parent Toolkit includes materials, many in both English and Spanish, to assist in talking with your parents and communitites about the shift to the common core.
- Three Minutes Video Explaining the Common Core State Standards
- Why the Common Core
- What does the Common Core mean for my students?
- What Do Parents Need to Know?
- CCSS Parent Guides by Grade
- Frequently Asked Questions about CCSS
- Parent's Backpack Guide to CCSS (K-5)
- What Parents Can Do to Help their Children Learn
- Parent Guide to New Assessments in Oregon
- Information can also be found at the PPS Instruction, Curriculum & Assessment webpage.