STEAM Fair Resource Page:
STEAM @ Vernon
STEAM is an educational approach to learning that uses Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Mathematics as access points for guiding student inquiry, dialogue, and critical thinking. Really, STEAM is IB, and IB is STEAM. The end results are students who take thoughtful risks, engage in experiential learning through meaningful inquiry, action, and reflection, persist in problem-solving, embrace collaboration, and work through the creative process. Our students are the innovators, educators, leaders, and learners of the 21st century and we are excited to provide a variety of meaningful learning opportunities to help them lead!
Vernon has its own STEAM Committee, which is a Vernon PTA Committee. The STEAM Committee consists of parents, teachers, administrators and students. Anyone is welcome to join.
Vernon’s STEAM work intentionally aims to help teachers address the NGSS (Next Generation Science Standards), which take a project-based approach, which is consistent with our goals as an IB school, to integrate STEAM into other core subject areas (Reading, Math, Writing). Here are links to learn more.
Next Generation Science Standards
Next Generation Science Standards in Oregon
To date, the STEAM Committee has coordinated, implemented, supported, organized or funded the following:
- STEAM Night
- STEAM Fair
- Teacher subscriptions to Science A-Z, Mystery Science, Science Weekly, Superscience
- Classroom or schoolwide sessions or fields trips with: Mad Science, XEROX, OMSI, Portland Water Bureau, Rice Rock and Mineral Museum, Whitaker Ponds,
- Starbase, Lower Columbia Estuary Partnership, Portland State University Science Outreach Society, Columbia Slough Watershed Council, EG Robotics, Guild,
- Vernon’s Garden Program.
- SUN School Robotics Program
- In-class Robotics materials: WeDo Lego Robotics materials
STEAM Events: 2019-2020
- STEAM in Sports Night - Thursday, September 26, 2019 (5:30-7:30pm)
- Women in STEAM & Career Day - Tuesday, March 3, 2020 (6:00-8:00pm)
- PYP/MYP STEAM Night - Tuesday, April 21, 2020 (5:00-7:30pm)
Vernon STEAM Resources
- Science AtoZ: https://www.sciencea-z.com/
- Mystery Science: https://mysteryscience.com/
- Super Science: http://superscience.scholastic.com/
- Mad Science assemblies: http://portland.madscience.org/scienceassemblies.aspx
Our STEAM committee sees the need and value of prepping our kids for the 21st century. We strive to help our kids learn not only answers, but more importantly, how to ask the right questions. Come grow with us.