Winterhaven’s Vision is to provide students an enriching learning environment with an emphasis on Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Math (S.T.E.A.M.), which maximizes their potential and ensures they are well-equipped to meet the challenges in the world around them.
As a Science, Technology and Math Focus Option School, Winterhaven’s Mission is to prepare students to solve real world problems, to develop higher level thinking skills, and to be contributing members of society.
The key elements of Winterhaven are as follows:
- A flexible, creative, and rigorous learning environment geared to the level and rate of the individual student
- A curriculum which includes project-based learning, hands-on activities, special interest classes, and relevant, real world experiences
- An emphasis on the development of intellect, character, and creativity through strong relationships within the community
- An environment that welcomes and nurtures children of every race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, language spoken, religion, ability, national and economic background
Our School Climate:
Winterhaven recognizes that children learn best when they are seen and celebrated exactly as they are. To ensure that children flourish in a nurturing environment, we promote a climate that prioritizes two interconnected ideals:
1. Winterhaven actively encourages a positive, respectful and supportive environment that sees each child as an individual, and encourages and expects that all students, staff, teachers and community members work together to create and maintain this culture. We trust students when they tell us of their experiences, and encourage all members of the Winterhaven community to encourage respect and speak up in the face of intolerance.
We promote restorative justice principles, in which exclusionary discipline is discouraged in favor of corrective, education action on the part of students. Keeping in mind restorative justice practices, Winterhaven does not tolerate under any circumstances, any form of bullying, racial or sexual harassment, sexism, racism, homophobia, misgendering, ableism, xenophobia or classism. In adherence with Portland Public Schools policy, we adhere to a zero tolerance approach. Any members of our community are encouraged to speak with a trusted adult and/or fill out the anti-bullying form on our school website.
2. Winterhaven respects the diverse histories represented in our students, staff and teachers, and strives to fully incorporate into our curriculum the stories, contributions and knowledge that they embody. We also respect diverse learning styles and aim to support diversity in not only what we teach, but how we do so. We know that all of our students will be better prepared as global citizens if educated with a culturally-inclusive curriculum that respects each individual contribution our students can make.
TITLE IV, TITLE IX, ADA/504 ASSISTANCE
Mark Sandilands, Principal at Winterhaven, can give assistance on any of these programs.
Portland Public Schools recognizes the diversity and worth of all individuals and groups and their roles in society. It is the policy of the Portland Public School Board that there will be no discrimination or harassment of individuals or groups on the grounds of age, color, creed, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation in any educational programs, activities or employment.