History of Laurelhurst School
In 1913, four years after the founding of the Laurelhurst Company that developed the surrounding neighborhood, a property was set aside for the developer to become Laurelhurst School. It was another five years before the first portable was opened for students in the fall of 1918, but when 60 students arrived, a second portable was added. By 1922, there were six portables, housing seven grades. The school was originally known as Scott School, after the first editor of the Oregonian newspaper.
The school building itself was begun in 1922, and classes began in the new school building in February 1924. In 1925, the north wing and the north gym were completed. Also in 1925, the first class graduated from Laurelhurst School.