Capitol Hill Elementary School
8401 SW 17th Ave
Portland, OR 97219
Office hours: 7:30am - 3:30pm
Grade levels: K-5
Principal: Mike Sauers
Middle school: Jackson Middle School
Click link for map Capitol Hill map
Capitol Hill celebrates a strong school community where the focus is on meeting the diverse needs of all children. The school community works together effectively to create a unique program where children have the opportunity to realize their potential in academics as well as the performing and visual arts. The strength of the school program builds on strong partnerships with parents and the community. Students’ specific academic needs are identified and met through effective assessment and instruction around critical benchmark standards. Rich experiences in the arts and the development of critical thinking skills help round out our comprehensive program.
- Portland Public Schools has created a strong focus of support for full day kindergarten curriculum that includes additional training and support for Kindergarten teachers.
- Art and physical education programs for all grade levels.
- Art residencies that include musical productions, class and grade level visual art projects, and public speaking workshops.
- PTA sponsored activities include the annual carnival, silent auction, Scholastic Book Fair, Dash for the Art Dollars, First Friday and Art Show.
- Partnerships with Lewis & Clark College and Reading Results (an intergenerational reading support program) that provide reading and general academic tutors.
- Wireless networking through the school building.
- A school computer laboratory, a portable computer laboratory with wireless internet connections and classroom computers provide students with technological support and safe, online academic assistance.
Faculty & Staff
- The experienced, child-centered faculty and staff focus on basic skills as well as higher thinking/enrichment skills that foster lifelong learning.
- Ongoing staff development activities provide training on instructional strategies to improve writing, TAG instruction, meet state benchmarks, literacy assessment and equity.
Parent & Family Support
- Active parent groups include the PTA, and Site Council. Both groups meet monthly and are open to all.
- Parents tutor reading and math as well as assist with art, drama and other special interest activities.
- Parents and other community volunteers give an average of 500 volunteer hours each month.
- Families raise money for school programs by volunteering for PTA fund raising events including the science and technology decathlon; gift card and t-shirt sales; Dash for Art Dollars; and our Annual Auction.