West Sylvan Middle School
Principal ~ Dr. Jill Hunt
Assistant Principal ~ Ben Keller
School Management Specialist : School Climate ~ Sara Sebastian
Student Success Advocate : Restorative Justice ~ Alonzo Parnell
8111 SW West Slope Drive
Portland, OR 97225
Phone: 503-916-5690 Fax: 503-916-2681
Office Hours: 8:00am-4:30pm
West Sylvan Middle School: Rigorous, Relevant, Results. We are a community of learners who develop and support competent, capable, caring students. West Sylvan has a fine tradition of providing a rigorous, relevant and high-quality middle school education through the efforts of a committed faculty, enthusiastic students, outstanding parent support and a strong instructional program. The vision of the West Sylvan academic program is to create a caring learning community that promotes academic and social growth. The purpose is to create an environment that balances adolescents' need for independence with continued adult support and guidance. To reach these goals, teachers and staff encourage high academic and behavioral expectations tempered by sensitivity to the needs of adolescents. We believe each student deserves encouragement, support and a sense of well-being.
Student learning environment
- Strong emphasis on balancing academics, social and physical needs of early adolescents.
- Strong counseling and support staff help students with academic and social issues.
- Emphasis placed on academic achievement, as well as providing a nurturing, enjoyable learning environment.
- AVID curriculum is delivered for all students, and there is an elective for each of the three grade levels.
- Dual Immersion Spanish opportunities are available. Native Spanish speakers may test into DLI, if they are not already in the cohort.
- There are a range of electives in visual/performing arts, technology and academic fields.
- Outstanding science labs at West Sylvan promote hands-on learning.
- Our foreign language program includes French and Spanish.
- All sixth-graders learn computer/word processing and research/technology skills.
- Advisory is a thirty minute part of each school day when Scholars engage in SEL lessons through the Wayfinder! curriculum, study skills, can meet with Educators, receive AVID lessons on executive functioning, hear announcements, participate in school assemblies, and participate in school clubs.
Parent and family support
- Families are involved in Site Council and West Sylvan Foundation (fundraising for teaching positions and educational supports).
- West Sylvan families are involved in and supportive of their students' education.
- Family members volunteer to run clubs and volunteer to help with various spaces around campus.
Special programs and features
- West Sylvan students consistently score at the top in state reading, writing, science and math tests. US News and World Report ranked WSMS in the top five middle schools for the state of Oregon (21-22).
- Special school programs support students who have specific learning needs or who require assistance with social or emotional issues.
- Differentiated and accelerated learning plans for Talented and Gifted (TAG) students include enriching and challenging opportunities in all classrooms. Single subject math and whole grade acceleration options exist in PPS.
- Each grade level has a dedicated school counselor to work with students' supports.