West Sylvan Middle School
Principal: Dr. Jill Hunt
Assistant Principals: Ben Keller and Evening Krauel
8111 SW West Slope Drive
Portland, OR 97225
Phone: 503-916-5690 Fax: 503-916-2681
Office Hours: 8:00am-4:30pm
West Sylvan Middle School: Rigorous, Relevant, Results. We are a community of learners who develop and support competent, capable, caring students. West Sylvan has a fine tradition of providing a rigorous, relevant and high-quality middle school education through the efforts of a committed faculty, enthusiastic students, outstanding parent support and strong instructional program. The goal of the West Sylvan program is to create a caring learning community that promotes academic and social growth. The purpose is to create an environment that balances adolescents' need for independence with continued adult support and guidance. To reach these goals, teachers and staff encourage high academic and behavioral expectations tempered by sensitivity to the needs of adolescents. We believe each student deserves encouragement, support and a sense of well-being.
Student learning environment
- Strong emphasis on balancing academics, social and physical needs of early adolescents.
- Strong counseling and support staff help students with academic and social issues.
- Emphasis placed on academic achievement, as well as providing a nurturing, enjoyable learning environment.
- AVID curriculum is delivered for all students.
- Dual Immersion Spanish opportunities are available.
- There are a range of electives in visual/performing arts, technology and academic fields.
- Outstanding science labs at West Sylvan promote hands-on learning.
- West Sylvan has a strong writing program at all grade levels.
- Our foreign language program includes French and Spanish.
- All sixth-graders learn computer/word processing and research/technology skills.
Parent and family support
- Families are involved in Site Council and West Sylvan Foundation (fundraising for teaching positions and educational supports).
- West Sylvan families are involved in and supportive of their students' education.
Special programs and features
- West Sylvan students consistently score at the top in state reading, writing, science and math tests.
- Special school programs support students who have specific learning needs or who require assistance with social or emotional issues.
- A strong program for Talented and Gifted (TAG) students includes enriching and challenging opportunities in all classrooms.
- Each grade level has a dedicated school counselor to work with students' supports.