The mission of Buckman Arts Focused Elementary School is to provide education through a rigorous arts-integrated curriculum designed to engage, excite and empower students. Buckman Elementary School is committed to fostering an inclusive, creative, inquisitive and respectful community of learners.
The school’s highly trained arts specialists provide concentrated instruction in the disciplines of music, visual art, and dance. The arts specialists collaborate with the classroom teachers to integrate arts into the core curriculum, resulting in effective and creative communicators and thinkers, ready to succeed in school and beyond.
Buckman is open for admissions through Portland Public Schools’ transfer process. Buckman is also a neighborhood school, serving an essential educational function for children who live in inner southeast Portland. The school welcomes students from all parts of the city, all ethnic groups, and all socioeconomic backgrounds. Unlike some magnet or focus-options schools, which operate using a “school-within-a-school” approach, Buckman’s arts programs are structured to include every student in the building. All students at Buckman participate in the arts program at the school.
The innovative arts-integrated curriculum at Buckman Arts Focus Elementary School nurtures and challenges the whole child—nourishing the intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and artistic development of each student. Buckman students achieve academic excellence as they develop a lifelong love of learning.
What else is special about Buckman?
- Highly trained arts specialists (Visual Arts, Music, Dance), who teach weekly specialized classes in their art field
- Award-winning staff and instructors
- An average class size of 26-30
- Two full-day kindergarten classes
- Physical education
- Library with an extensive and current collection
- On-site before and after-school care
- SUN (Schools Uniting Neighborhoods) program offering a wide variety of creative-based after-school activities and community events
- SMART (Start Making a Reader Today) program
- Dedicated, creative parent volunteer community (thousands of volunteer hours logged yearly)
- Strong, active PTA and Local School Foundation
- Robust support from Portland community members, artists, musicians, and civic leaders