King School Museum of Contemporary Art (KSMoCA)
KSMoCA, King School Museum of Contemporary Art, is a contemporary art museum inside of Martin Luther King Jr School in NE Portland, OR. Founded in 2014 by Portland State University professors Lisa Jarrett and Harrell Fletcher, the project creates an unusual pairing between public school students and internationally renowned artists and their work. KSMoCA’s programs are collaboratively developed with the MLK Jr School community, PSU students, and voluteers.
Students learn through experience about museum practice and careers in the arts by participating as curators, preparators, artists, gallerists, writers, and docents. KSMoCA reimagines the way museums, public schools, and universities can affect people, culture, and perspectives by creating radical intersections and sharing resources across organizations.
For more information, visit www.ksmoca.com
- Thursday, February 21 (9:40 AM)— Jodie Cavalier Artist Lecture in the Library
- Thursday, February 21 (6 PM)— RACC Art & Power: Restorative Justice Conversation in the Library
- Friday, March 15 (2 PM) — Arnold J. Kemp Artist Lecture in the Library
- Friday, March 15 (3 - 5 PM)— Exhibition opening of Arnold J. Kemp: WORKSHOP in the hallway
- Monday, March 18 (9 AM) — Assembly and Talk with Artist Byron Kim about his work that will be made at KSMoCA
- Thursday, April 18 (9:40 AM) — Melanie Stevens Artist Lecture in the Library
- Late May (TBD) — Artist lecture and exhibition opening with Wendy Red Star
Our Current Exhibition:
Mónica Mayer with Ms. Jones' 5th Grade Students
Mónica Mayer: Abrazos/Hugs
November 30, 2018 - March 9, 2019
Opening Reception, November 29 from 4-6 PM
Abrazos/Hugs is an exhibition of work by Mexican feminist artist and activist Mónica Mayer. Her exhibition at KSMoCA includes images and ephemera from two participatory artworks she has exhibited around the globe: El Tendedero/The Clothesline Project and Abrazos/Hugs. Additionally, the exhibition includes artwork made by students in Ms. Jones’ 5th grade class, who participated in a hug-reinvention workshop with the artist. Please join us for the opening reception on Thursday, November 29 from 4-6 PM at KSMoCA and meet some of the young artists who invented the new forms of hugs included in the exhibition.
Abrazos/Hugs es una exposición de la artista feminista y activista mexicana Mónica Mayer. Su exposición en KSMoCA incluye imágenes y efímeros de dos obras de arte participativas que ha exhibido en todo el mundo: El Tendedero/The Clothesline Project y Abrazos/Hugs. También hay arte hecho por estudiantes de la clase de 5 grado de Sra. Jones, que participaron en un taller con el artista para inventar nuevos tipos de abrazos. Únase a nosotros para la recepción de apertura el jueves 29 de noviembre de 4 a 6 pm en KSMoCA y conozca a algunos de los jóvenes artistas que inventaron las nuevas formas de abrazos incluidos en la exposición.