Rieke School Guide
School Guide and Policies:
8:35 am: First Bell
8:45 am: Tardy Bell
11:30 am - 11:52 am:
Lunch: K, 1st, 2nd | Recess: 3rd, 4th, 5th
11:52 am - 12:15 pm:
Lunch: 3rd, 4th, 5th | Recess: K, 1st, 2nd
3:00 pm: Dismissal for students
What happens if my child is sick? How do I know if I should keep them home?
How do I report an absence or tardy?
It’s important that your child is in school everyday, but we know that sometimes they need to miss some or all of a school day. Reporting an absence is easy! You can either:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org (Only emailing your teacher is NOT reporting your child’s absence).
- Call the attendance line 503-916-5768
- If you have Parentvue you can report full day absences via Parentvue
If you fail to report an absence you will receive an automated call from PPS saying your child is absent from school.
What are the Morning Drop-Off Procedures?
- You can drop off students as early as 8:30 am.
- Bus kids will be met by staff and escorted to the school. Late students need to check-in at the office. After 9:30 am, please sign-in your student.
- If your child is going to be absent or tardy, please let the school know before 9:30 am by emailing email@example.com, calling 503-916-5768 or logging into ParentVue.
- Please note, teachers can only note whether a student is in class or not, however without a reason from a parent an auto-call from PPS will notify you that your child is not at school.These calls go out at 10:30 am. We start handing out tardy slips promptly at 8:45 am, kids will need to come to the office for a late slip.
- Use the firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-916-5768 for dismissal changes. Call the school for any changes made after 11 am.
Does your teacher know your child's dismissal plan?
What happens at the end of the day?
Depending on your afterschool plan, students will be taken to the bus, aftercare or to the front of school for parent pick-up.
Parent Pick up:
- If you are picking up your student, please arrive promptly at 3pm to pick them up.
- Kinders are picked up under the covered area
- 1st graders are picked up outside the main school door
- 2nd/3rd graders are picked up at the playground door
- 4th/5th graders are released from their classrooms
- To have your student take the bus, look up your closest bus stop at www.pps.net/transportation. Blank bus tags will be available in the office, and need to be filled out by parent/guardian and attached to your student's backpack.
- Kindergartners need yellow bus pass. They must be met by a parent, guardian or trusted adult.
What if I need to change my child's afterschool plan?
- If dismissal plans change with advance notice email your child's teacher.
- For same-day changes CALL THE SCHOOL! Same-day changes should be used for emergency situations only.
- If you need to pick up your child early, once you come to the office we will call them from their class. Please allow plenty of time for these pickups.
Riding Bus Home with Friends:
- If your student is riding a bus home with a friend, or getting off at a different bus stop, they will need a temporary bus pass. Send a note to the office (email or handwritten), with the bus number and the stop address. THEY CANNOT RIDE THE BUS WITHOUT A TEMPORARY BUS PASS.
Last minute end-of-day dismissal changes are for emergency situations only. Please coordinate play date outside of school hours.
How do I set up school lunch for my student?
- To purchase school lunch you will need to add money to your child's lunch account in two ways:
- You can do this through Schoolcafe.com ($15 min. and 5% service charge)
- Bringing money to the school and give it directly to Shelley our lunch lady. Checks can be made out to "Portland Public Schools". Include childs name in the memo section of the check.
- You will need your child's student ID. Students have a morning snack break, please pack a nutritional snack for them.
Visit pps.net/nutrition for lunch menus and information on free/reduced meals
How do I Volunteer?
- Get started with a background check at: pps.net/volunteer
- You must sign-in through our Raptor Volunteer system, every time you volunteer, including field trips and other such events.
- The first time you volunteer you will need to provide the office with your driver's license. Once we scan it you can sign in and out on the kiosk.
- Background Checks expire after 3 years, please be mindful of that when volunteering. We are happy to check when you expire, just ask the office.
Can I visit Rieke?
- All visitors will need to provide their driver's license for the office to scan when visiting.
NEW for 23-24:
All visitors and volunteers will wear name badge stickers.
Badges will now be printed via label printer when you sign in.
There are no more permanent name badges.
This aligns Rieke with district policies in regards to visitors and volunteers.
Do you have a school supply list?
- The PTA has purchased school supplies for all Rieke students but will be asking for donations to Rieke PTA School supplies. The great news is learning materials will be in classrooms for all children, the price is highly reduced, and you do not need to go out and shop. We ask you to supply your child with a backpack and water bottle. Please put their names on these items.
Are there school activity fees?
- This year the PTA is asking for an additional $15 per student to cover field trips and classroom celebrations. We are moving to a PTA payment - in lieu of using “Schoolpay”- to provide teachers more flexibility in choosing activities that work best for them and to provide more timely reimbursements. These funds will be used for extra classroom activities, field trips, events and treats throughout the year.
What is Rieke's smart phone/smart watch policy?
- Keeping in line with Robert Gray and Ida B. Wells students at Rieke are not to use smart watches, phones or other web devices during the school day.
- If students do bring smart watches or phones to school in order to communicate with their family at the end of the day, those devices should be turned off and kept in backpacks during the school day.
- If students need to contact parents during the day they can come to the office so we can help.