anWhat Fourth grade is learning in the library:
- Internet Safety!
- Improving skills on the mac iBook computer laptops: i.e. using a touch/click mouse, word processing, website browsing, and portaportal.
- Intermediate Level use of Google Applications: Drive, Classroom, Docs, and Slides using photos and video capability.
- How to use the Alameda library catalog independently. Searching for books from home and at school.
- Character development Writing exercises using a variety of literature with rich illustrations.
- Exploring references and their many uses and forms; i.e. print versus web-based.
- Understanding plagiarism and why bibliographies/reference citing is important.
- Accessing and locating a variety of web-based resources that will aid in research, writing, and locating skills without 'drowning' in an excess of information.
- Information gathering skills / Note-taking skills
- Slideshow presentation skills.
Fortunately, our fourth graders are avid and voracious readers. Our 4th-grade classroom teachers encourage their students to locate books that fit their individual reading abilities. Since our 4th graders have the opportunity to check out more books, I also encourage them to choose books for their own leisure reading along with their academic reading.