Volunteer at Woodstock Elementary School
Volunteers with Portland Public Schools provide invaluable support in two primary ways: as individuals and through organizations.
Definition of a 'Volunteer': An unpaid person assisting under the direction of a licensed teacher or administrator.
Most volunteers give their time:
- Working with students in the classroom
- Offering curriculum enrichment to students
- Participating in school organizations such as PTAs, Local School Advisory Councils, or Booster Clubs
- Providing counsel to the school district as members of advisory committees
- Improving school grounds and buildings
Portland Public Schools supports volunteer efforts to:
- Increase children's motivation for learning
- Enrich children's school experiences
- Strengthen school-community relations
- Build understanding of schools among citizens
What to expect
Volunteers are responsible for maintaining a professional attitude of mutual respect and confidence. Volunteers in school buildings should:
- Be punctual and reliable
- Notify the school in case of an absence
- Sign in and out at the Volunteer Web-Based Station
- Wear the school nametag at all times for safety and security
- Practice the professional ethics of confidentiality
- Become familiar with school and classroom polices and practices
- Be willing to adjust to each teacher's individual style and follow his/her directions
- Set a good example in appearance and behavior for students
- Contact the principal or volunteer coordinator if they are not satisfied with their volunteer placement
Volunteers must protect teachers' and students' right to privacy. They may not disclose school information or personal matters, whether shared with them directly or overheard. They should discuss student problems or concerns with only the staff member with whom they are working or the principal.
Volunteer with us
If you are a parent, guardian or community member and would like to volunteer at our school, please contact the front office staff directly during regular hours. You will also need to complete the following:
- Read and agree to the Volunteer Code of Conduct. Please print a copy of the form below, sign it, and turn it in to front office.
- Volunteer Background Check. In order to maintain a safe environment for students, staff and our community, Portland Public Schools conducts criminal records screening on volunteers who have the potential for direct, unsupervised contact with students.