Career and Technical Education (CTE) is no longer simply wood shop or automotive technology. Today, CTE includes a wide variety of disciplines that allow students to experience hands-on learning and acquire skills that are transferrable to a multitude of future career pathways in healthcare, construction, technology, engineering, digital media, and many more.
In Portland Public schools, state-approved CTE programs of study provide:
- Academic Preparation & Technical Skills Attainment: CTE provides rigorous, industry-focused technical instruction and work-readiness preparation that integrates academics in a rigorous and relevant curriculum
- Engagement & Relevance: CTE students receive real-world, industry-relevant, hands-on learning experiences, both in the classroom and in the community where industry professionals share their skills and expertise to bring real-world authentic learning opportunities.
- Alignment to postsecondary programs & industry recognized standards: Every CTE program of study must align to a postsecondary CTE program and industry recognized standards and informs clear pathways to certifications and degrees
- Higher Graduation Rates: Since 2011, students who complete just one (1) credit in CTE have graduated at an average rate of 88%.
PPS CTE Program of Study Areas
- Natural Resources
- Architecture & Construction
- Arts, AV, Communications
- Business & Management
- Education & Training
- Health Sciences
- Hospitality, Culinary & Tourism
- Information Technology