The Odyssey Program
How to Apply for the Lottery
There are two parts to apply: The School Part & The District Part
THE SCHOOL PART
The Odyssey Program is a special type of Portland Public School, known as a Focus Option Program. It is open to all PPS students and families. To start - get to know our school with some videos all about The Odyssey Program. Please note that we do not do tours as it interrupts the flow of the school day.
View the slide show from March 1st Lottery Info Meeting
View the slide show from our Nov. 3rd Lottery Info Meeting
Welcome from Principal Gassert
A Middle School Student’s Perspective
A 5th Grade Student's Perspective
Virtual Tour of Odyssey School
View lottery slots and wait list information here.
Attend an in-person Parent Information Meeting. This is your opportunity to see the building, meet staff, students and parents!
6-8th grade Lottery: Thursday, Nov. 3rd 6:00-7:00 PM
K-5 grade Lottery: Wednesday, March 1st, 6:00-7:00 PM
After viewing the videos/ attending an information session in person, please fill out the linked form below (also available in paper form during the in person sessions). The form is a Statement of Understanding indicating you understand the uniqueness and expectations of the Odyssey Program.
6-8th Grade: 2023-2024 6-8th Grade Odyssey Program's Statement of Understanding to acknowledge you understand the uniqueness of our program. This is required to be eligible for the lottery.
K-5th Grade: 2023-2024 K-5th Grade Odyssey Program's Statement of Understanding to acknowledge you understand the uniqueness of our program. This is required to be eligible for the lottery.
*Parents of Kindergartners: Please enroll your child for your PPS neighborhood school. If you are offered and accept an Odyssey spot, we will contact your neighborhood school and have the enrollment transferred to Odyssey. For staffing purposes, the neighborhood schools need to know how many possible kindergartners will be attending their school. If you do not receive a lottery offer, you will be ready to attend your neighborhood school. (If at that time you choose to enroll in a private school, you can cancel your PPS enrollment. ) Click on this link to get started.
THE DISTRICT PART
Submit a lottery application for the 2023-2024 School Choice Lottery. The district requires these applications to be filled out on time for a student to be considered for the lottery.
6-8th grade lottery opens Nov. 15th, closes Dec. 16th, 2022
K-5th grade lottery opens Feb. 15th, closes Mar. 17th, 2023
Due to very few open spots, listing Odyssey as your first choice school is highly recommended.
Attending a school outside your neighborhood:
PPS offers a petition process for students who wish to attend a school outside their neighborhood. Learn more. PPS also holds a lottery every February/March for the following school year for schools/programs accessed via lottery. Learn more.
Learn about services, options:
- Head Start and other Pre-Kindergarten Programs
- Before and After-School Care
- Focus options schools (Science, History, The Arts)
- Dual Language Immersion programs
- Alternative Schools
- Charter Schools
Meeting all students needs
- Register at your neighborhood school. If language assistance is needed, register at a Welcome Center (Link) in August. Centers also assess students English language level.
- PPS encourages families with concerns about their child's development under age 5 to get an assessment for special education services. Call the Multnomah Early Childhood Program, 503-261-5535, for a referral to the PPS Early Childhood Evaluation Team. Contact the PPS Team directly if you have questions: 503-916-3426. (English/Spanish).
- Families concerned about their school-age child's academic, motor, self-help, communication or social-emotional skills should talk to their child's teacher about an assessment for services. If you have questions, contact your principal.
- Students K-12 are first nominated by their teacher or parent/guardian and then assessed by PPS. If the student meets the criteria, he or she is selected to participate in the program.