Mobilizing for College: Engage, Empower, Elevate (GEAR UP)
Mobilizing for College (M4C) – awarded in 2014 – and Engage, Empower, Elevate (E3) – awarded in 2018 – are college and career readiness programs funded by the U.S. Department of Education’s GEAR UP grant initiative (Gaining Early Awareness & Readiness for Undergraduate Programs). Each grant is awarded for a 7-year period and follows 2 cohorts of students from middle school through high school.
The primary goal of the M4C:E3 GEAR UP program is to reach historically underserved and low-income students in participating middle schools and high schools. The program provides an array of classroom-based services and integrated supports designed to improve student academic achievement and increase the number of students that successfully enter into post-secondary programs and/or professional or technical careers upon graduation from high school.
M4C:E3 serves students, teachers and families through three integrated initiatives:
- SMART (Students Mobilizing for Access & Retention Together) implements culturally relevant and sustainable practices focusing on college identity, college & career exposure and post-secondary preparation activities using a classroom-based near-peer mentor model, partnering college-going school alum with teacher partners.
- BUILD (Building Undergraduates through Inclusive Leadership Development) builds an inclusive, intercultural parent-organizing model that empowers parents and families to more actively engage in the educational system and advocate for student academic success.
- TDIP (Transformative Data Inquiry Project) enhances educator capacity to infuse into the classroom a holistic, culturally-responsive and data-informed approach toward college readiness that makes visible and elevates student voice in the classroom, including teacher leadership development, collaborative networking, and quantitative and qualitative student non-cognitive survey data to inform pedagogy and curriculum development.
PPS GEAR UP Schools
M4C serves the 2020-2021 graduate cohorts in Jefferson, Madison and Roosevelt High Schools.
- 10-11thgrade (2018-19)
- 11-12thgrade (2019-20)
- 12th& 1st-year college (2020-21)
E3 serves the 2024-2025 graduate cohorts, initially serving students in 9 middle schools (2018-2021):
- Jefferson Cluster – Tubman, Ockley Green, Faubion & Vernon
- Madison Cluster – Roseway Heights & Harrison Park
- Roosevelt Cluster – Cesar Chavez, George & Astor
E3 moves into Jefferson, Madison and Roosevelt High Schools in Fall 2020 with the 9th-grade cohort.