Rich in Tradition
Grant High School opened in September, 1924. We became a school in which students, parents, faculty and the community helped to build and maintain the GRANT SPIRIT, which we enjoy today.
“Ulysses Simpson Grant High School” was the School Board’s unanimous selection for the name of Portland’s eighth high school after George E. Sandy, Commander of a local V.F.W. Post, suggested it. Since that time Grant Generals have led the city and the state in excellence in academics, athletics, and school participation.
Grant High School has consistently maintained a strong faculty, which has taught and inspired students to achieve scholastic distinction and honor. Our program of studies is comprehensive, and we have been leaders for more than one-half century in preparing students, both academically and vocationally, for the adult world.
Student participation beyond the classroom also has been a Grant tradition. Through athletics, performing arts, student government, clubs, publication staffs and other activities, Grant Generals have prepared to become talented, contributing citizens and leaders in government and business.
Carrying on the Grant tradition brings with it responsibility as well as pride. Today’s student is challenged to achieve to his or her limit. There is an ever-increasing arena of scholastic opportunities for the student who attends Grant including traditional academic subjects, performing and visual arts, technology, and business education in preparation for the world of work as well as college.