Personalized Learning Requirements
In addition to meeting credit requirements, all Oregon high school graduates must complete Personalized Learning Diploma Requirements (PLRs): 1) Career Related Learning Experience Reflection(s), 2) Student Resume and 3) My Plan Essay/Extended Application.
Completion of each student’s Personalized Learning Requirements PLRs) will be tracked through Synergy. Once all requirements have been marked complete the PLRs will show as “met” on the student’s transcript.
1) Career Related Learning Experiences (CRLEs)
All PPS students must engage in CRLE opportunities and submit reflection(s) that demonstrate a “meet” level on the rubric prior to graduation. PPS believes it is important for students to participate in activities throughout their high school experience that provide a bridge to connect classroom learning to the world of work and help them explore future college and career possibilities. Students may participate in one or more of the following CRLE activities:Awareness Activities
- Worksite Visits
- Informational Interviews
- Job Shadow
- Mock Interviews
- Focused Career Days
Two (2) CRLEs
- Project-Based Activities
Documentation in Synergy
- 1 by end of grade 10
- 1 by end of grade 12
- Career coordinators will review and score each student’s CRLE reflection(s).
- Career coordinators will mark each student’s CRLE reflection(s) as complete in Synergy.
All PPS students must complete a resume that is scored as meeting rubric standards prior to graduation. The resume is a job search tool, and may also be used in scholarship competitions, college admissions or when asking for a letter of recommendation. The resume should be a positive and accurate presentation of each students skills, accomplishments, education and experiences.
Students may meet the resume requirement by doing the following:
- Create a resume using Microsoft Word or another word processing tool
- Upload a resume that meets the following requirements to their Google Drive. A hard copy must be evaluated according to this rubric by your teacher.
- Students in the class of 2015 and beyond are required to complete the resume requirement
- The resume will be taught and scored in junior or senior English classes (school choice);
- Each grading period, teachers will provide career coordinators with a list of students who have successfully completed the resume requirement
In Portland Public Schools, Oregon’s Extended Application diploma requirement is called the My Plan Essay. All PPS students must complete a My Plan Essay that is scored as meeting rubric standards prior to graduation. The My Plan Essay is a formal reflection of a student’s high school experiences related to college and career, future plans, and goals, and supports OSAC scholarship essay questions. The My Plan Essay supports the district’s goal for every PPS student to graduate college and career ready with an informed post-high school plan.
- Students in the class of 2015 and beyond are required to complete the My Plan Essay requirement
- The My Plan Essay will be taught and scored in senior English classes.
- Modifications and/or accommodations may be provided to students with special needs (e.g. SPED, ESL)
- Each grading period, teachers will provide career coordinators with a list of students who have successfully completed the My Plan Essay requirement
- CRLE Scoring Guide
- Resume Scoring Guide
- Purdue OWL (Online Writing Lab) Resume Writing Webpage
- Teen Resume Guide
- My Plan Essay Prompt (Student Handout)
- My Plan Essay Scoring Guide - change to meet OSAC for ideas and content
- My Plan Essay Pre-Writing Graphic Organizer
- My Plan Essay Organization Tips