Enrolling in your neighborhood school
Portland Public Schools has great neighborhood schools where families find great teachers, a strong academic program and a sense of community close to home. The school district also offers a number of focus option programs that specialize in a topic area such as the arts, sciences or dual-language immersion. To help you find and enroll in a school or program that meets your needs, we’ve broken down the process. New students can enroll in their neighborhood school at any time by going to the school.
Follow these steps to find your school:
- Locate your neighborhood in the box below.
- Attend the open house for your neighborhood school.
- If you are also interested in a different school, attend that open house as well.
Meeting all students needs
- Register at your neighborhood school.If language assistance is needed, register at a Welcome Center (Link) in August. Centers also assess students English language level.
- PPS encourages families with concerns about their childs development under age 5 to get an assessment for special education services. Call the Multnomah Early Childhood Program, 503-261-5535, for a referral to the PPS Early Childhood Evaluation Team. Contact the PPS Team directly if you have questions: 503-916-3426. (English/Spanish).
- Families concerned about their school-age childs academic, motor, self-help, communication or social- emotional skills should talk to their childs teacher about an assessment for services. If you have questions, contact your principal.
- Students K-12 are first nominated by their teacher or parent/guardian and then assessed by PPS. If the student meets the criteria, he or she is selected to participate in the program.
Attending a school outside your neighborhood:
PPS offers a petition process for students who wish to attend a school outside their neighborhood.Learn more. PPS also holds a lottery every February/March for the following school year for schools/programs accessed via lottery. Learn more.
Learn about services, options: