Financial Aid, General Info
Financial Aid is a broad term that includes a variety of ways students pay for college. This includes Student Loans (federal and/or private), Grants, and Scholarships. The difference between each of these sources of funding are:
- Student Loans - Money students borrow that they pay back later on, includes interest.
- Grants - Money students are gifted, no need to pay back.
- Scholarships - Money students are awarded, usually includes an application process that students have to go through.
Two Major Applications for Financial Aid
1. Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA):
The FAFSA is the first step for students and families in funding a college education. The information contained in the FAFSA is ONLY used to determine how much money a student can receive for college in the form of Student Loans and Grants. The application for FAFSA is completed online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa.
FAFSA Application Help - we have a lot of FAFSA live support with regular FAFSA completion events scheduled, if you are interested please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Oregon Student Aid Application (ORSAA):
The ORSAA is an alternative to the FAFSA for undocumented Oregon students including students who have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status, Temporary Protected Status (TPS). It is a confidential application that is used solely by the Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC) to qualify students for financial aid in Oregon. Information that is shared with the HECC via the ORSAA is used only by the HECC and partner colleges, universities, and foundations in order to administer grants and scholarships. The application for ORSAA is completed online at https://oregonstudentaid.gov/fafsa-orsaa.aspx.
ORSAA Application Help
- ORSAA Tip Sheets (English) (Español): This PDF will guide you through the ORSAA process and outline how to apply for other financial aid in Oregon.
- Guide to the ORSAA (English only): This guide breaksdown the application sections and purpose.
- 5 Tips for Completing the ORSAA (English l Español): A video of tips for students and families as they start the ORSAA. A full playlist of videos for ORSAA filers is available here.
- ORSAA Demonstration Video (English l Español): A walkthrough of the application from OSAC staff.
You can also send me an email at email@example.com
General Financial Aid Resources
ECMC’s Opportunity Books
- English https://www.ecmc.org/students/documents/2022-2023-OR-Opps-Book.pdf
- Spanish https://www.ecmc.org/students/
Helpful Financial Aid Websites
FinAid Oregon GEAR UP