AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination)
What is AVID?
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is an elementary through postsecondary college readiness system that is designed to increase school-wide learning and performance, preparing students for college.
The AVID Elective class targets students in the academic middle, who have the desire to go to college and are capable of completing rigorous curriculum using the will to work hard. Typically, AVID students will be the first in their families to attend college, and many are from low-income or minority families. In the AVID Elective, students are routinely required to enroll in their school’s toughest courses, such as honors or [at Cleveland] International Baccalaureate.
What's AVID like at Cleveland?
At Cleveland since 2011, around eighty students participate, divided into three sections of AVID (9/10, 11, and Senior AVID). For students who have volunteered to be a part of this college preparation program, each takes “The AVID Elective” one period a day, where students learn organizational and study skills, work on critical thinking and asking probing questions, get academic help from peers and college tutors, and participate in enrichment and motivational activities that make college seem attainable. Additionally, there are other members of the AVID Site Team who will use the AVID strategies in their classes with all CHS students and plan on sharing their experiences with these strategies with the rest of the staff.
Cleveland's AVID Mission Statement
To provide opportunities and support for students to take and be successful in the most challenging courses that Cleveland offers, so that students are academically prepared for their post-high school lives, including college and career.
Class of 2015
Our first four-year cohort of AVID students graduated last year. Here is some information about those students:
- 100% graduation rate (50% first in their family to graduate from high school)
- 100% accepted to 4-year universities (75% first in family to attend college)
- Last year’s seniors are attending: George Fox, Lewis and Clark, Warner Pacific, OSU, U of O, PSU, and others
- $325,000 of scholarships and grants earned
For more information
- Dr. Katy Wagner, Cleveland Vice Principal and AVID Administrator
- John Golden, AVID Site Coordinator
- Julia Blattner, AVID Teacher
- David Hillis, AVID Teacher
- Mark Warner, AVID Teacher
- Nick Yoder, Counselor
- Anna-Kate Peterson, Science Teacher
- Erik Running, Math
- Roberta Stubbs, World Language
- Jamie Incorvia, English