In order to maintain a safe environment for students, staff and our community, Portland Public Schools conducts criminal records screening on volunteers who have the potential for direct, unsupervised contact with students.
Portland Public Schools recognizes that a criminal record alone is not an indication of the value volunteers offer to our students.
When reviewing criminal records, the school district also considers:
- The safety of our students and staff
- The nature and gravity of the offense (s)
- The time that has passed since the conviction and/or sentence
- The nature of the volunteer work for which the applicant is requesting to volunteer
- The positive impact the individual has had within the community since the offense
To apply to be a volunteer and complete the volunteer background screening, please click the link above.
Additional assistance is also available at the school(s) for which you are applying to volunteer or you may contact our Security Services Department at (503) 916-3000.
We respect your privacy and any conversations with regard to your personal matters will be kept confidential. Refer to Administrative Directive 5.10.141-AD
, for additional information and district policy on volunteering.