The MAD MakerSpace welcomes all Madison students and staff; the space inspires creativity & collaboration. Some activities will make you think critically, others will turn your thoughts into action.
We support a maker culture where:
• Everyone shares responsibility for safety.
• We help one another and are receptive to feedback.
• We support one another.
• Innovation is encouraged.
• Positive experiences are created.
This is a space to have FUN, LEARN, be PRODUCTIVE, & work SAFELY. Please adhere to posted safety & equipment guidelines, report damaged or unclean equipment, & ask questions.
Report all Injuries/Incidents
• Immediately report ALL accidents, injuries, or incidents to The MakerTech.
• Immediately discontinue use of the tool(s) or equipment if it becomes unsafe, damaged, or is not working properly; notify the Maker Tech. Safe Conduct Agreement
• Use the space & equipment safely & leave the space & equipment in clean & working condition.
• Work & behave in a way that protects your own safety & the safety of others.
• Ask for help when you are uncertain how to use equipment.
• Operation of the 3D Printers & Laser Machine is restricted to The MakerTech.
• Abide by MAD & STEAM, safety, & fire regulations & comply with the rules & regulations of the equipment, whether posted or otherwise imposed by MAD.
• Safety is your top priority when using the MakerSpace. If you are not sure what to do, Ask.
• Be aware of locations of first aid, fire, & safety equipment.
• Never use a tool unless you’ve been trained to use it safely.
• Use a step stool to reach extension cords or tools which are out of reach. Do not climb on tables or chairs to reach for something.
• Do not work when tired or in a hurry.
• Do not cause a distraction, fool around, or startle anyone while either one of you is using a tool.
• Think through the entire job before starting. Prepare prints or drawings with all dimensions and specifications prior to submitting your job to a MakerTech.
*The MakerTech is happy to assist you if you get stuck.
Use Protective Gear & Dress Right
• Do not wear loose-fitting clothing around moving or rotating machinery.
• Remove ties, jewelry, lanyards, etc., especially around moving or rotating machinery.
• Tie back long hair.
• Wear suitable gloves when handling hot objects or sharp-edged items.
Use Tools Correctly
• Use tools how they are designed to be used.
• Never use a broken tool. Report any broken tools or machinery to a MakerTech immediately.
• Do not remove tools from the MakerSpace.
• Never walk away from a tool that is still on.
• Never tamper with a tool’s safety features. Operate machinery according to recommended procedures & with safety guards in place, as applicable.
Food & Drinks
• Covered beverages are allowed in the green & yellow zones. Unattended beverages may be discarded by The MakerTech. Clean up any spills immediately.
• Food is Only Permitted during lunch. * While No Equipment is running.
• Clean up after yourself; leave the area clean & tidy.
• Clean & return all tools to where you got them.
• Shut off & unplug machines when cleaning.
• Never use a rag near moving machinery.
• Use a brush, hook, or a special tool to remove chips, shavings, etc., from the work area. Never use your hands.
• Keep fingers clear of the point of operation of machines by using special tools or devices, such as push sticks, hooks, pliers, etc.
• Keep the floor around machinery clean, dry, & free from trip hazards.
• Clean up spills immediately & put a chair or cone over them if they are wet enough to cause someone to slip.
Code of Conduct & Safety Orientation Quiz
To use the 3D printers, laser machine, soldering equipment, & sewing machines, you must first complete the Code of Conduct and Safety quiz.
Tools and Equipment
The MAD MakerSpace has a variety of low-tech and high-tech tools and equipment.
The tools & equipment available in the MakerSpace fall into one of these categories:
• 3D Printers
• Laser Machine
• Sewing Machine
• Soldering Equipment,
• Electronics Arduino, Raspberry Pi, LittleBits, Makey Makey, and Lego Kits.
• Video, Sound & Photography: Cameras & Accessories, Green screen & Multimedia workstations with a variety of software.
• Arts & Crafts: Button Maker, Cameos, shirt press & miscellaneous craft materials & supplies.
503.916.5220 ext. 86121