Portland International Scholars Academy (PISA)
At Portland International Scholars Academy:
We invest in inclusive quality instruction that honors students' racial, cultural and linguistic assets.
We prepare every Emergent Bilingual to be ready to succeed in our schools and thrive in our community.
Empower students to become leaders while providing
- a safe and supportive learning community
- content classes that incorporate a language focus in every lesson, in addition to English Language Development classes
- an orientation to the US educational system
- meaningful differentiated access to rigorous academic content and foundational educational skills.
- learn content and language skills simultaneously
- work towards attaining content credit
- progress in their language attainment, with a goal of exiting PISA within one year.
- Students remain at PISA until they reach progressing level on the English Proficiency assessment and/or they complete a maximum 2 years in program. Exceptions may be made depending on student readiness.
- Students, who successfully complete the PISA program, will be counseled on how to successfully transition to their neighborhood high school.
PISA Class Schedules
- Every student at PISA has a full schedule of classes. PISA students spend their entire school day at the Benson High School campus.
- In addition to English Language Development class, PISA students undergo integrated English language development in a full range of class subjects, including math, language arts, social studies and science. All classes are taught in English. Some native language support may be provided.
Transportation to PISA
- All PISA students are provided free city transportation services afforded to all PPS high school students.
- Student has been enrolled in a US school less than two years
- Student scores an A or B (level 1 or 2) on the IPT.
- Student is eligible for high school.
- Students entering 11th or 12th grade without transcripts or formal education will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- PISA students are placed in a grade level based on birthdate; however, courses are assigned based on educational needs and graduation requirements.
- PISA will partner with neighborhood schools and outside organizations when PISA is not the best option for students.
For more information
For class and enrollment information, contact