Walk, Bike, and Roll to School
Who We Are
PPS Safe Routes to School is a collaborative partnership between Portland Public Schools, Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT), Metro, and Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) promoting active transportation getting students safely to and from school. We work to create safe, easy, and fun ways for kids to walk, bike, skate, scoot, bus or carpool to school.
What We Do
Our mission is to serve a diverse community of parents, students, and organizations through advocating for and promoting the use of active and shared transportation to and from schools throughout the Portland area. To accomplish our mission, we use the 6 E’s of Safe Routes to School.
Why Walk or Roll to School?
- Students arrive at school energized and better prepared to focus.
- Studies show many students do not get the recommended level of physical activity each day- walking and rolling to school builds this physical activity into an everyday routine.
- School streets are safer with fewer vehicles during pick-up and drop-off.
- Less air pollution surrounding schools creates a healthier learning environment.
- Communities build better connections between neighbors through walking or rolling together.
- Student safety is improved through pedestrian and biking education programs.
- Students gain more independence.
- Walking and rolling is fun!
Lead a Walking School Bus, volunteer to be a crossing-guard, help with a Walk + Roll to School event or bike rodeo, teach kids to ride bikes, or support a bike safety community ride! There are so many ways to get involved!
ContactsShane NeviusSafe Routes to School Coordinator(503) 916-3197Project Manager - Office of Operations& Safe Routes to School Manager(503) 916-6545