Welcome to Portland Public Schools
Equity and Excellence: Every student, every teacher, every school succeeding.
Mission: Every student by name prepared for college, career and participation as an active community member, regardless of race, income or zip code.
Portland Public Schools, founded in 1851, is a PK-12 urban school district in Portland, Oregon. With more than 49,000 students in 78 schools, it is one of the largest school districts in the Pacific Northwest.
With highly trained teachers and staff; an engaged parent community; strong partnerships, and a focus on closing the racial educational achievement gap, PPS is at its highest graduation rate in at least 15 years and is enjoying its seventh straight year of enrollment growth. Thanks to the state Legislature, school funding is improving and thanks to Portland voters, a PPS School Building Improvement Bond is now fueling the modernization of our aging school buildings for 21st century learning.
- Career Learning: PPS has more than doubled Career Technical Education offerings in recent years, which show a direct link to its rising graduation rate.
- Language Immersion: The district's growing Dual Language Immersion program is closing the racial educational achievement gap and improving reading achievement in native and non-native speakers alike, according to a 2015 national study. One in 10 PPS students is in an immersion program.
- Early Childhood Education: The district has launched an early learning hub model in which Headstart and community partners offer pre-school and culturally relevant instruction as well as parenting support for families. The PPS Clarendon Regional Early Learning Academy will soon be followed by a similar model in partnership with NAYA Family Center at the former PPS Foster site.
- The Arts: The Portland Arts Tax now guarantees arts education for all elementary students and is fueling the alignment of K through 12 programs in such disciplines as orchestra and dance.
- Athletics: The Portland Interscholastic League has expanded into the middle grades with its Youth Sports Program, building strong athletic programs from 6th through 12th grade.
Portland Public Schools is headquartered in the Blanchard Education Service Center, located across from the Moda Center in North Portland.
Contact: 503-916-2000, email
Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday
Facts & Figures 2016-17
|Community Based Programs||968|
|Special Services Program||455|
|Public Charter Schools||1,585|
|Native American/Alaskan Native||0.70%|
|Multi-Racial - Asian/White||3.70%|
|Multi-Racial - Other Ancestries||6.00%|
|Receive English as a Second Language Services||8.40%|
|Eligible for free meals via Direct Certification||25.60%|
|Receive Special Education Services||14.00%|
|*PPS students also attend the Head Start Early Childhood Education program, 10 community-based programs, 8 charter schools, 4 alternative programs, and 10 special services programs|
|Licensed School Administrators||176|