Board Meetings Update
As part of an Executive Order in response to the COVID-19 Coronavirus situation, Gov. Kate Brown closed all Oregon schools through the end of the 2019/2020 school year.
During this time, all meetings of the Board of Education will be held virtually. Under the provision of ORS 192.670 all meetings will be live streamed at www.youtube.com/user/ppscomms/live, except for those meetings that fall under the provisions set forth for executive sessions.
Meeting Materials Announcement:
All Portland Public Schools Board of Education board meeting meeting materials, included committee materials, will now be located on BoardBook.
To access the page click on the Board Meetings and Materials tab, or visit https://meetings.boardbook.org/Public/Organization/915.
Once on our new materials page, click on the agenda for the meeting you are interested in. All materials are listed with the specific agenda item.
Portland Public Schools Board of Education
The School Board is comprised of seven elected members serving four-year terms. Every year, the Board elects their Chair and Vice Chair. Currently, the Chair is Eilidh Lowery and the Vice-Chair is Scott Bailey. Board members are community volunteers and do not receive compensation for their work. The School Board is the policy-making body of our school district. It is responsible for providing an education program for students living within the District.
To accomplish its role, the Board:
- Determines the long-range direction of the District
- Establishes policies that direct the instructional and support programs
- Employs and evaluates the Superintendent
- Communicates with the community
- Negotiates with employee groups to determine salaries and benefits
- Calls elections on bond proposals
- Approves the annual budget
- A student Board Representative, selected by the high school student body, serves as an unofficial voting member for one year to represent the students and report on the various high school activities.
The public is invited to attend* the public Board meetings to gain a better understanding of school district business and the role of the School Board. The public is also invited to address the Board during the public comment portion of the Board meetings**. Individuals interested in addressing the Board should arrive a few minutes prior to the scheduled meetings and place their name on the sign-in sheet. You may also phone in your request to provide public comment (503-916-3906), or email your request to PublicComment@pps.net. Individuals may phone or email in advance of the meeting; please include the subject topic you will be speaking on.
* During closures due to Covid-19, Under the provision of ORS 192.670 all meeting will be live streamed at www.youtube.com/user/ppscomms/live, except for those meetings that fall under the provisions set forth for executive sessions.
** The public will continue to be invited to address the board. Individuals interested in addressing the board must sign-up in advance of the scheduled meeting. You may sign-up by calling Kara Bradshaw at 503-916-3906 or by emailing KBradshaw@pps.net. As usual, requests for public comment will be processed in the order that they are received. Once it has been confirmed, you will receive a link via email with instructions.
Notice of Public Meetings
To find out when meetings are scheduled:
- View the Public Notices Page.
- View the Regular Meeting Schedule.
- Subscribe to email notifications: Send an email to email@example.com, with subscribe as the subject. After an email address has been subscribed to the mailing list, notice of a Public Meeting of the School Board will be sent prior to each scheuduled meeting.
Español | Spanish - Lineamientos de las asambleas públicas
Tiếng Việt | Vietnamese - NGUYÊN TẮC HỌP M CÔNG KHAI
中文 | Chinese
Русский | Russian
Soomaali | Somali
Board of Education Staff
Public Board Meetings
To find out when Board Meetings are scheduled:
- View the Public Notices Page.
- View the 2021/2022 Regular Meeting Schedule (or the 2020/2021 Regular Meeting Schedule).
- Subscribe to email notifications: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subscribe as the subject. After an email address has been subscribed to the mailing list, notice of a Public Meeting of the School Board will be sent prior to each scheduled meeting.
See the PPS Board in Action
Upcoming Board Meetings