Portland Public Schools Board of Education
The School Board is comprised of seven elected members serving four-year terms. Every year, the Board elects their Chair and Vice Chair. Board members are community volunteers and do not receive compensation for their work. The School Board is the policy-making body of our school district. It is responsible for providing an education program for students living within the District.
To accomplish its role, the Board:
- Determines the long-range direction of the District
- Establishes policies that direct the instructional and support programs
- Employs and evaluates the Superintendent
- Communicates with the community
- Negotiates with employee groups to determine salaries and benefits
- Calls elections on bond proposals
- Approves the annual budget
- A student Board Representative, selected by the high school student body, serves as an unofficial voting member for one year to represent the students and report on the various high school activities.
The public is invited to attend public Board meetings to gain a better understanding of school district business and the role of the School Board. The public is also invited to address the Board during the public comment portion of the Board meetings. If you would like to sign up for public comment, please send an email with your first and last name, your school community, and topic to PublicComment@pps.net or call the Board Office at 503-916-3741. Requests for public comment will be processed in the order that they are received. Email and phone requests should be received by 12:00 pm the day of the meeting. Walk-up requests are taken, if space is available, in the fifteen minutes prior to the meeting (and must be received prior to the start of the meeting). Please note, public comment by any individual is limited to one time every 30 days. Written public comments may be sent to PublicComment@pps.net.
Notice of Public Meetings
To find out when meetings are scheduled:
- View the Public Notices Page.
- View the Regular Meeting Schedule.
- Subscribe to email notifications: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request to be added to the Public Notice mailing list. After an email address has been subscribed to the mailing list, notice of a Public Meeting of the School Board will be sent prior to each scheduled meeting.
Español | Spanish - Lineamientos de las asambleas públicas
Tiếng Việt | Vietnamese - NGUYÊN TẮC HỌP M CÔNG KHAI
中文 | Chinese
Русский | Russian
Soomaali | Somali