Community Agent Support Services
ESL Community Agents are language and culture specialists who help schools develop strong relationships with current and former ESL families whose home-language is not English. We are pleased to announce that we have seven dynamic CAs who speak and serve our culturally and linguistically diverse (CLD) families in Arabic, Somali, Spanish, Vietnamese, Russian, Mandarin and Cantonese.
Each of our ESL Community Agents is committed to helping schools reach the following goals:
- Increase the % of culturally and linguistically diverse (CLD) families serving in advisory committees, PTA councils, and other committees critical to decisions and school improvements efforts
- Increase the % of CLD families participating in school-based family workshops, trainings, and parent coffees
- Increase the % of CLD families participating in family events at schools
Our Community Agents may support your efforts to engage CLD families by:
- Calling your families to inform them about upcoming school events
- Helping your school plan for family sessions/meetings by consulting with school staff on developing culturally responsive opportunities, and advise on family engagement
- Bridging parent communication at school events and/or parent focus meetings by providing limited interpretation for a school presenter
- Providing facilitation at ESL developed parent trainings
Other important services include:
- calling families to inform them of upcoming school parent meetings
- translate short announcements for an event or a parent note
- to assist with communication needs (i.e. attendance, student learning, student incidents; please note for IEP meetings please contact the Language Access Department) at school parent meetings
- assist families completing school registration process once Welcome Ctrs have closed and with school/district related forms
- respond to urgent matters that require timely communication with parents (i.e. safety & health incidents)
Language Access Services Department
Language Access Services Department is responsible for providing all school-wide language support services. Please contact LAS office at (503) 916-3254.
*Because Community Agents serve families across the entire district, we ask that you give them a minimum of 48 hours notice of any event or appointment to be made between families and school staff.
**We know that many of our families new to PPS and the US school system face unique challenges. ESL department supports efforts that assist CLD families and student transition into our schools. These needs may be unique to the student and families, so we ask that for this type of assistance you contact your school’s AD directly to deploy the right type of resource.
Community Agent Contacts
Please note: The ESL Department is currently working to fill vacancies for the following Community Agent positions and will let building staff know as soon as their services are available.
0.5 FTE Mayan
0.5 FTE Oromo/Amharic
Should you have any need for assistance for the above languages, please contact Language Access Services directly (503) 916-3254.