PPS Board Policy: 4.30.060-P Anti-Harassment
Sometimes people don’t get along. This is not always bullying. Bullying and harassment are behaviors that make someone feel intimidated or offended. Bullying and harassment are unfair, one-sided, repeated and one person may be using their power over another person.
OTHER IMPLEMENTATION AND REPORTING FORMS (see also TRAINING/STAFF FORMS below)
Suggestions for Implementation of Confidential Bullying and Harassment
Ideas for Promoting Reporting With Students
Ideas for Promoting Reporting With Parents
PPS Letters to Families: English | Chinese | Russian | Somali | Spanish | Vietnamese
Portland Public Schools is committed to maintaining a learning environment that is free of harassment and bullying. Harassing or bullying, as defined in (3), is strictly prohibited. Students shall avoid any conduct or action that could be characterized as harassment or bullying.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Anti-Harassment Agreement (a tool for students outlining what is acceptable behavior at school and outlining potential consequences and supports- agreement to be signed by student, parent/guardian, and administrator)
Cyberbullying is bullying or harassment that happens online. It can happen on a social networking site, in a text message, an email, an online game or comments. It might involve rumors or images posted on someone’s profile or passed around for others to see, or creating a group or page to make a person feel left out. Because cyberbullying messages can be rapidly sent to many people, they can cause considerable damage to children. There are many guidelines and resources to help parents navigate and stay involved in their child's online activity.
It is our goal, in the following letters, to provide families with helpful information about some of the more frequently asked questions related to internet awareness and cyberbullying.
- Steps to Respect Steps http://www.cfchildren.org/steps-to-respect.aspx
- Bully Blockers http://www.cfchildren.org/bullying-prevention.aspx
- Bullying Preventions and PBIS http://www.pbis.org/common/pbisresources/publications/bullyprevention_ES.pdf
WEBSITE RESOURCES FOR ADULTS AND STUDENTS
- www.adl.org (anti-defamation league)
- www.glsen.org (gay, lesbian, and straight education network)
- www.Girlsinc.org (information about empowering girls)
- www.saysomethingnow.com (author that specializes in books about bullying)
- www.handsproject.org (anti-violence campaign)
- www.trudyludwig.com (author that specializes in books about bullying)
TRAINING/STAFF FORMS (see also OTHER IMPLEMENTATION AND REPORTING FORMS above)
- Bullying Investigation Form (to be used by designated school staff taking a report) Fillable WORD | PDF
- What We Know and What We Can Do (From Leadership 1/6/2010 Tammy Jackson/Karina Kidd)
- Bullying-Intervention-Presentation-for-Staff (From Care Youth Project: Collaborative Agency Resources for Escondido)