Ida B. Wells High School
Advancement Via Individual Determination
AVID's Mission: To close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society
What AVID is..
- a nationally recognized and rigorous in-school elective class that prepares students for success in college and career
- targets students with an inner drive to succeed, placing them in one or more advanced courses
- a college preparedness system that implements WICOR strategies school-wide and district-wide
- teaches organizational and study skills, providing support in content area classes through the Tutorial process
- encourages participation in motivational activities to help students realize their academic and personal life goals
- provides opportunities to hear guest speakers, visit universities, participate in service work
What AVID isn't...
- a remedial or "at-risk" program
- a college outreach program
- study hall
AVID Curriculum Focuses on...
-writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, reading (WICOR)
-college readiness skills
To see more about AVID at Ida B. Wells High School, view this AVID Slide Presentation
If you are ready to apply, click here: AVID Application Process
For more information about the national AVID program: www.avid.org