Ida B. Wells High School
Advancement Via Individual Determination
AVID's Mission: To close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society
What AVID is..
- a nationally recognized and rigorous in-school elective class that prepares students for success in college and career
- targets students with an inner drive to succeed, placing them in one or more advanced courses
- a college preparedness system that implements WICOR strategies school-wide and district-wide
- teaches organizational and study skills, providing support in content area classes through the Tutorial process
- encourages participation in motivational activities to help students realize their academic and personal life goals
- provides opportunities to hear guest speakers, visit universities, participate in service work
What AVID isn't...
- a remedial or "at-risk" program
- a college outreach program
- study hall
AVID Curriculum Focuses on...
-writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, reading (WICOR)
-college readiness skills
To see more about AVID at Ida B. Wells High School, view this AVID Slide Presentation
Students who are interested in AVID must fill out an application and participate in an interview to be considered for the elective class. If you are ready to apply, click here: AVID Application Process
For more information about the national AVID program: www.avid.org