Update: Fall 2020 Planning7/1/2020
Dear PPS Families,
We hope you are enjoying a safe and healthy summer break. Thank you for sharing your feedback on the re-entry survey we recently sent to you. While there are still numerous details to finalize, we wanted to update you on where we are with our efforts to ensure healthy beginnings for the 2020-21 school year.
Of note, we are grounding all of our decisions in racial equity and social justice and following these guiding principles as we work through this process:
- Ensure the health and wellness of our staff, students and schools.
- Transform curriculum and instruction, and provide innovative learning environments to ensure a robust instructional core that provides cognitively demanding experiences and opportunities accessed by all students so they successfully build the knowledge, skills, and dispositions reflected in the PPS Graduate Portrait.
- Cultivate connections and relationships within our school buildings and with our broader community.
We will have much more detail and background information to share with you next week, but here's what we are focusing on as we finalize our plan for Fall 2020:
- Prioritizing our Black and Native American students, following our Theory of Action and engaging with groups who have been disproportionately impacted by the pandemic.
- Prioritizing our students who receive special education services and focusing on student needs and health requirements.
- Following Oregon Department of Education guidance, and strictly adhering to public health standards in response to COVID-19.
- Focusing on connecting with our students in order to access basic needs, including meals, computers, social emotional support and internet access.
- Working with our labor partners to discuss, determine and decide the best ways to prepare and train for what will be another atypical school year.
- Committing to provide the best possible learning experiences for our students, regardless of delivery model.
- Continuing to plan transportation, custodial services and many other operational services that are essential to our schools and students in order to accommodate the physical distancing guidelines and sanitization requirements.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. We look forward to sharing more with you next week as we finalize our plan for Fall 2020. We wish you a safe, healthy and happy Independence Day weekend.