PPS Pre-Kindergarten Programs
PPS Pre-Kindergarten programs, including Head Start, give priority to low-income families. PPS Pre-K and Head Start programs are guided by the Early Learners Core Values and follow the Tools of the Mind curriculum.
2021-22 Pre-Kindergarten Applications
We are currently accepting Pre-Kindergarten applications for the 2021/22 school year.
Please review eligibility details and program information below. Online applications are available in the Pre-K Applications (2021-22) menu to the right, and paper applications can be requested by emailing email@example.com or leaving a message at (971)501-0111.
- To be eligible for PPS Headstart and Pre-K programs:
- Your child must have been 3 or 4 years old by 9/1/21; and
- Your family must live within PPS district boundaries; and
- Your family must qualify financially (see income tables below).
- Head Start: For program-specific information, please visit the PPS Head Start webpage. For more program information, please call the Head Start Main Office (503-916-5724).
- Pre-Kindergarten: Seats are currently available at our Boise-Eliot/ Humboldt, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and Faubion sites. For program-specific information, please contact Alessandro Williams, Preschool Promise secretary, by phone (503-916-5686) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- To learn about other available Pre-K programs in Multnomah County, contact Early Learning Multnomah by phone (503-228-9131) or email (email@example.com).
2021-22 Family Income Guidelines
Locations for PPS Pre-K Programs
(click image to see full-sized list)
(Contact the program for eligibility and enrollment questions)
- MECP (Multnomah Early Childhood Program): Half-day programs Monday - Thursday for children with special abilities (IFSP) as well as typically developing "peers". Located at Beach, Jackson, Sabin, Woodmere and Whitman.
- Albina Early Head Start: For children ages birth to 3 years old, and provides full-day preschool for children ages 3 to 5.
- Neighborhood House Head Start provides preschool for children ages 3-5 on the west side of Portland.
- Siletz Head Start prioritizes preschool for children with tribal affiliations ages 3 to 5.
- Call 211Info for information about community preschools and childcare, parenting classes, energy and rental assistance, and more.
Tools of the Mind
Most PPS Pre-K teachers use Tools of the Mind in their classrooms. Tools of the Mind gives teachers the tools to support every child's learning by helping to develop the underlying cognitive, social and emotional skills needed to reach their highest potential.
If you would like to learn more, visit: https://toolsofthemind.org/
PPS Head Start teacher Kelly Petrin, wrote about her experience teaching Head Start students using Tools of the Mind.
Click the image below to read: