Whole Grade Acceleration
(Guidance for Families)
Students in kindergarten through 7th grade are eligible to apply for Whole Grade Acceleration (WGA).
SPRING Application Window: TBD for WGA in the next school year
FALL Application Window: September 19-30, 2022 for WGA in the current school year
Anyone who seeks grade acceleration for a student must begin the conversation as a team at the school. This should include parent/s, teacher/s, other appropriate school staff, and the principal. The school team meets initially and completes all but the final section of the application. If the decision is to move forward, the following steps will be completed:
- Contact the TAG department to initiate testing and data collection
- A TAG TOSA will schedule and administer tests and complete an observation
- The TAG department will review documentation, evaluate test results, and document the placement decision.
- The TAG Department notifies school(s) and family of the final decision.
- Records are updated to reflect the change if applicable by the last day of the school year (or by October 15 for fall acceleration).
For Whole Grade Acceleration, the TAG department uses the Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS), 3rd edition. This includes the use of the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) for Intellectual testing, and the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS) for Reading and Math testing.
Multiple measures are used to determine student readiness for whole grade acceleration. The IAS scale assigns points to a multitude of data points and information, including:
- School Team: Conversation as a team about the student, and logistics such as where the child will be moved to, any issues this may create, such as transportation, etc.
- Assessment Data: IAS scale uses assessment data as an indicator of Academic Ability, Aptitude, and Achievement based on composite scores from the CogAT and ITBS assessments
- Teacher Questionnaire: The current classroom teacher answers questions pertaining to the whole child, including developmental and social/emotional readiness
- Observation: A TAG TOSA will make a classroom observation, noting (participation, behavior, interactions with peers and adults, etc.)
Contact classroom teacher to begin Whole Grade Acceleration Process