Homeless Campsites are an issue citywide in Portland. Portland Public Schools prohibits camping on PPS property. If there is a problem campsite near a school, PPS staff and/or community members need to report the problem campsite(s) to the City of Portland. The City of Portland has created a website to address probelm campsites. Problem campsites must meet the following criteria in order to be addressed by the City of Protland.
- Repeated instances of overly aggressive behavior from campers (Direct verbal threats or physical actions clearly meant to intimidate such as chasing, looming, or raising a fist. Call 9-1-1 to get assistance in the moment, and fill the form out later.)
- Public intoxication and/or conspicuous drug use (Again, if it is an emergency, please call 9-1-1.)
- Campsite obstructs public right-of-way (e.g., sidewalks, trails)
- Misuse of public spaces (e.g., using it as a restroom)
- Structures (e.g., lean-tos, mass shelters)
- Excessive trash and/or biohazards (e.g., discarded syringes)
- Damage to the environment (e.g., cutting down trees or limbs, digging a trench into a hillside, etc.
To report a problem campsite, please go to this website: City of Portland Campsites - One Point of Contact (Please note you will need to create a free account if you do not already have one. PPS staff should create an account using their school/site address and PPS email.) You will then fill out a form that will be collected by the City of Portland to address the problem campsite(s). The greater the number of reports received about a problem campsite, the higher on the priority list for action the problem campsite will be.
You may also call the City of Portland to report a problem campsite(s) at (503) 823-4000 or send an email to email@example.com.
Security Services recommends using the online report form as it will prompt you for all of the information the City of Portland needs regarding problem campsites.
If you witness criminal activity occuring in a campsite, please contact 9-1-1 or the non-emergency number (503) 823-3333 as appropriate to report the activity to the Portland Police Bureau.