Visitor/Volunteer Sign In Procedures
Portland Public Schools utilizes a visitor/volunteer management system for persons visiting schools, beginning in the 2019/20 school year. PPS is committed to ensuring our schools are safe places for our students and staff, and this system enables us to be certain we know who is in our schools at all times. Names and date of birth are compared to the sex offender registry only. No other external sources are checked and the information you share is securely stored in an internal PPS database.
This new system will allow PPS to screen visitors and volunteers against the sex offender registry. Please note that registered sex offenders are not permitted to enter school grounds (View Policy: Registered Sex Offenders 3.10.015-AD). All visitors/volunteers will need to wear the printed name badge that identifies their name, photo, the date and their destination.
We thank you for your understanding and support of enhanced school safety protocols in our district.
Please bring a government-issued ID
To enter a PPS school beyond the main office while school is in session:
1. Present a Government-Issued Identification (ID). Examples include:
- Driver’s License (from Oregon or another state)
- State Identification Card (from Oregon or another state)
- Passport ID Card
- Consular Card
2. The school staff will scan your ID and print an official name badge.
3. What if I do not have a Government-Issued ID?
- Provide your full name and date of birth and you will receive an official name badge.
- On your next visit, please bring Government-Issued ID.
- If you do not have one of the IDs listed above, bring in one or more documents you have that include your date of birth and photo, if possible. Once school staff can verify your identity, you will be able to sign in with just your name at future visits. Otherwise, you will need to sign in with your name and date of birth each time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are PPS schools asking for Government-Issued Identification?
What do you mean by Government-Issued ID?
What if I do not have a Government-Issued ID the first time I check in?
What if I do not have a Government-Issued ID at all?
Do I need to bring a Government-Issued ID every time I go to a PPS school?
What do you do with the information you collect?
Who will be denied entry into a PPS school?
PPS Board Policies
PPS Board Policies & Administrative Directives