Project Community Care is a volunteer stewardship program designed to help care for school grounds!
Project Community Care is a branch of the Districtwide Schoolyard Program and the ‘Inspired, Sustainable, Schoolyards’ priority for the Fund for PPS.
August 2023 Community Care Day Information:
- Event days: Saturday, August 12th and Saturday, August 19th (your site will choose a date)
- Event time: 10am-12pm
- School Participation Sign-up Form (due 6/22, must be completed by Principal or PTA/PTSO)
- An event 'Save the Date' is being sent out to school staff and communities through the PPS Office of Sustainability and the PPS Communications Department
- Flyers to help schools recruit volunteers will be emailed out to participating sites
To participate, school sites should:
- Recruit volunteers through flyers, newsletters, social media posts
- Ask volunteers to bring any tools for tasks (i.e. gloves, rakes, pruning shears, shovels, wheel barrows, string trimmers/weed wackers)
- Seek donations for needed extra materials or tools from home supply stores
School sites will be provided:
- Garbage and yard debris waste service
- Mulch, 5 cubic yards per site (optional)
- Yard debris collection bags
General Program Information:
There are 3 ways to get involved throughout the year:
1.) Volunteer at a PPS Community Care Day event
- Bi-annual districtwide event held in August and April
- Volunteers come together to complete tasks such as weeding, litter pick-up, or spreading mulch around flower beds & trees.
2.) Help organize a work party at your school any time of year
- PPS can bring in partner organizations to support your event with volunteers and clean-up tools
- PPS can provide waste services (yard debris or garbage) for any event
- PPS can provide 5 cubic yards of mulch to Title IA schools once each year
- Chip Drop, and similar services, are prohibited for events because play areas require Engineered Wood Fiber (EWF) chips, which are specifically required for playground areas for safety and longevity.
- The Fund for PPS is working to help schools with outdated outdoor spaces reimagine their schoolyards with improvements such as depaving, accessible play structures, gardens, increased tree canopy, and green infrastructure.
- Donate here!