ADD/DROP POLICY OR COURSE CHANGE
Students may be transferred from one course to another course during the first three weeks of each semester with parental and counselor approval and without grade penalty. This does not apply to students transferring to Wilson from another school. Students need to pick up an add/drop form in the Counseling Office.
Adding a Class
- Through the end of the third week of each semester a student can add a class to replace a class that s/he has dropped. Adding a class is dependent upon class sizes (availability) and student needs.
- It is the responsibility of the student and teacher to discuss work and learning that needs to be made up if the student enrolls after the first day of class and during the first three weeks of a new semester.
Dropping a Class
- Through the end of the third week of each semester a student can withdraw from a class without any notation on the transcript. No record of the class or a grade will be made. Both the parent and teacher must approve course changes and approval must be documented.
- At the beginning of the fourth week of each semester students shall NOT be allowed to drop a class without a transcript notation “WF” (Withdraw Fail) as the final grade unless the building administrator grants an exception based on extreme and/or extenuating, documented circumstances. A level change within the same subject (i.e. a change from calculus into pre-calculus) would not be subject to this practice.
- The building administrator shall initial all drop requests beyond the end of the third week of the semester/second week of a trimester/seventh day of the quarter.
- It is not appropriate for teachers or counselors at any time to counsel students to drop a class. Students are to be counseled to improve performance. If a student has truly been misplaced in a class, it is appropriate to assist a student in changing to a more appropriate level of academic challenge.