Fidelity of Implementation Tool (FIT) Assessment
FIT data informs continuous improvement plans to implement and sustain evidence-based practices such that race and other identity markers no longer predict student outcomes.
The FIT Assessment is implemented with fidelity to guarantee that district and building-level decision makers have reliable and actionable data in order to ensure that every student in PPS embodies the graduate portrait.
Throughout the facilitation of the FIT, participants feel heard, celebrated and valued for the thoughtful, dedicated energy they have infused into the school community. The results are both timely and strengths-based.
Program Administrator, MTSS
Vincent Chirimwami, PhD
The FIT is:
- a research-based assessment from the University of Kansas SWiFT Center that measures the extent to which a school implements MTSS for equity-based inclusive education
- a tool that is used across the district in all of our comprehensive K-12 schools and some Multiple Pathways to Graduation (MPG) schools, providing reliable information about current systemic practices to inform improvement planning at the school and district level
- a full-day, on-site, annual event including perspectives from students, caregivers, community partners, and certified, non-represented and PFSP staff
- facilitated by someone outside of the school - in our case, a FIT TOSA and an MTSS TOSA
- a comprehensive tool that is organized into five domains:
The FIT provides:
- schools with a broad range of focused feedback aligned with the science of education
- input from multiple perspectives, which can be difficult to collect in other ways
- opportunities to celebrate success
- process information to enhance school and district systems; it helps guide teams toward potential next steps
- a district-adopted common framework fostering aligned support for positive student experiences and outcomes
- accountability information to the state for designated schools
Implementing the SWiFT Framework (MTSS) alongside the FIT assessment leads to improved experiences and outcomes for all students:
SWIFT PARTNER SCHOOL STUDENT OUTCOMES
STUDENT INCLUSION STEADILY INCREASED
- Students with disabilities were included in general education 80%+ of the time at rates above the national average in each year and schools with stronger implementation of SWIFT features had higher rates of inclusive placement
- Partner schools experienced a steady increase in the percent of students receiving services in general education settings for 80% or more of the day, and a decrease in removals of students with disabilities from general education settings
- For specific students with IEPs at the start and three consecutive years in SWIFT schools, 15.7% exited from special education services and were fully supported by their school
ACCESS TO ACADEMIC INSTRUCTION DUE TO GREATLY IMPROVED BEHAVIOR OUTCOMES
- In- and out-of-school suspension days per 100 students decreased by 32% or 26.9 days from baseline to project end for students with disabilities
- In- and out-of-school suspension days per 100 students decreased by 35% or 19.2 days from baseline to project end for all students
ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS
- SWIFT (MTSS) implementation is a significant predictor for both reading and math performance
- SWIFT (MTSS) implementation has a strong, positive correlation with larger increases in student reading scores
- Students in schools with the same state assessment for two consecutive years overall reading proficiency rate rose to 13% of students, a full percentage point over prior year
- Students in schools with the same state assessment for two consecutive years math proficiency rate increased 11%, 1.34 percentage points over the prior year
The following resources are for internal PPS use.
- FIT Schedule Template - This is the only template that should be used when creating a school's FIT Schedule.
- FIT Intro Slide Deck - This is available for administrators to use with school staff, if interested.
Do you wish more resources were provided? Do you have questions? Contact Niki Johnson at email@example.com.