Department of Dual Language
Through multi-lingual programs, the Department of Dual Language (DL) supports the district goal of every student by name being prepared for college, career and participation as an active community member, regardless of race, income or zip code.
The department prioritizes closing the opportunity gap for historically underserved students. To this end, the department provides multiple pathways and entry points for students to become bilingual and biliterate with a variety of programs offered to support the diversity of levels of proficiency in the partner languages.
- Native language literacy
- Dual language immersion
- World language
Students who participate in these programs and reach a high level of academic language proficiency qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy awarded by the State of Oregon.
PPS offers Dual Language Immersion (DLI) programs in five langauges:
To learn more about the enrollment process, please contact the Enrollment and Transfer Center which oversees the lottery process for Kindergarten students and the Petition Transfers process for students at other grade levels.
Benefits for Students in Dual Language Immersion
PPS has completed a three year federally funded research project titled "The Effect of Dual Language Immersion (DLI) on Student Achievement in PPS". This project was carried out in collaboration with the Rand Corporation and American Councils. The researchers’ findings show a significant positive effect in reading and a higher rate of reclassification for ELLs. This work has and will continue to serve as feedback for PPS DLI administrators and teachers as we work to constantly improve instruction and program implementation in DLI.
Student Achievement Findings from the Study
- Study of Dual-Language Immersion in the Portland Public Schools
- The Effect of Dual-Language Immersion on Student Achievement
- Year 4 Briefing: Study of Dual-Language Immersion in the Portland Public Schools
Additional Study Highlights
- OPB - Study: Portland Immersion Students Become Better Readers, English Speakers
- Education Week - Portland Dual-Language-Immersion Students Outperform Peers in Reading
- The Seattle Times - Study: Students in dual-language programs outperform peers in reading
- Education World - Dual-Language Programs Might Significantly Increase Students' Reading Skills