PPS offers Dual Language Immersion (DLI) programs in Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese. To learn more about our DLI programs and the enrollment process, please attend a Connect to Kindergarten event at your DLI school of choice or at our central office location.
- Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 6 pm - Board Room
- Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 10 am - Windows Cafe, 2nd Floor
- Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 6pm - Board Room
Location: Blanchard Education Service Center, 501 N. Dixon St.
Interpretation is available. Please call 503-916-3151 to request languages at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting.
Goal of the Department of Dual Language
The goal of the Department of Dual Language (DL) is to support the district goal through multi-lingual programs. Closing the opportunity gap for historically underserved students is a priority. To this end, the department provides multiple pathways and entry points for students to become bilingual and biliterate. A variety of programs are offered to support the diversity of levels of proficiency in the partner languages. Programs for native speakers include native language literacy and dual language immersion. Programs for non-native speakers include world language and dual language immersion. By participating in these programs students may qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy.
Benefits for Students in Dual Language Immersion
PPS has completed a three year federally funded research project titled "The Effect of Dual Language Immersion (DLI) on Student Achievement in PPS". This project was carried out in collaboration with the Rand Corporation and American Councils. The researchers’ findings show a significant positive effect in reading and a higher rate of reclassification for ELLs. This work has and will continue to serve as feedback for PPS DLI administrators and teachers as we work to constantly improve instruction and program implementation in DLI.
Student Achievement Findings from the Study
- Study of Dual-Language Immersion in the Portland Public Schools
- The Effect of Dual-Language Immersion on Student Achievement
- Year 4 Briefing: Study of Dual-Language Immersion in the Portland Public Schools
Additional Study Highlights
- OPB - Study: Portland Immersion Students Become Better Readers, English Speakers
- Education Week - Portland Dual-Language-Immersion Students Outperform Peers in Reading
- The Seattle Times - Study: Students in dual-language programs outperform peers in reading
- Education World - Dual-Language Programs Might Significantly Increase Students' Reading Skills