Goal of the Department of Dual Language
The goal of the Department of Dual Language (DL) is to support the district goal through multi-lingual programs. Closing the opportunity gap for historically underserved students is a priority. To this end, the department provides multiple pathways and entry points for students to become bilingual and biliterate. A variety of programs are offered to support the diversity of levels of proficiency in the partner languages. Programs for native speakers include native language literacy and dual language immersion. Programs for non-native speakers include world language and dual language immersion. By participating in these programs students may qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy.
Benefits for Students in Dual Language Immersion
PPS has completed a three year federally funded research project titled "The Effect of Dual Language Immersion (DLI) on Student Achievement in PPS". This project was carried out in collaboration with the Rand Corporation and American Councils. The researchers’ findings show a significant positive effect in reading and a higher rate of reclassification for ELLs. This work has and will continue to serve as feedback for PPS DLI administrators and teachers as we work to constantly improve instruction and program implementation in DLI.
Student Achievement Findings from the Study
- Study of Dual-Language Immersion in the Portland Public Schools
- The Effect of Dual-Language Immersion on Student Achievement
- Year 4 Briefing: Study of Dual-Language Immersion in the Portland Public Schools
Additional Study Highlights
- OPB - Study: Portland Immersion Students Become Better Readers, English Speakers
- Education Week - Portland Dual-Language-Immersion Students Outperform Peers in Reading
- The Seattle Times - Study: Students in dual-language programs outperform peers in reading
- Education World - Dual-Language Programs Might Significantly Increase Students' Reading Skills
Department of Dual Language
Congratulations Seal of Biliteracy Recipients!
Congratulations to 84 PPS students on earning the Oregon Seal of Biliteracy! This award recognizes that these students demonstrate an advanced level of academic language proficiency in two or more languages. This accomplishment sets them apart from most high school graduates in the United States and sets you on the pathway to being a global citizen.