The Native Montessori Preschool is a unique early childhood education experience.
Located in the Faubion School Early Learning Center, this program utilizes an interconnected curriculum that affirms Indigenous cultural teachings. Children and families are encouraged to participate in cultural activities and share their own cultural experiences.
In this classroom, Native themes and values are infused throughout the curriculum. The Montessori educational environment shares common values with Native learning styles and beliefs. For example, our community is mixed ages (3-5 year olds) which creates a familial learning environment similar to the extended family concept of tribes. Native traditions of learning supports students to learn from their peers regardless of age. In our community, children care for one another and learn from each other. As each child's Guide (teacher), our primary question in our daily work with children is, “What can be done to adapt the environment or materials to allow the child’s inborn potential to unfold?”
In order to qualify, your child/family must meet the following guidelines:
- Be at least 3 years old by September 1st
- Be completely toilet trained
- Have current immunizations
- Live within Portland Public School boundaries
- Meet income eligibility standards listed on the application & provide proof of income upon acceptance
- School Hours are 8:50 AM - 3:15 PM
- Breakfast and lunch are provided
- Transportation is not provided
- Before and After Care is not available on school site
- Families are encouraged to participate in our AI & AN cultural curriculum provided on site
Fill out the general PPS Early Learning Program Application, available online! A printable application is also available for download below.
- On the form, mark the Native Montessori Preschool @ Faubion as your top program choice
- Check ‘Yes’ when asked whether you are interested in enrolling in the Native Montessori program
- Indicate whether any of your children are enrolled in Title VI Indian Education
- Mark whether you participate in Native American cultural activities
- Please forward a copy of your PPS Early Learning Program Application to email@example.com