Portland Public Schools’ current local option levy was approved by voters in 2014 to provide funding for schools over five years. On Aug. 13. 2019, the PPS Board of Education voted to refer a five-year renewal to the ballot for the Nov. 5, 2019 special election.
If approved by voters, the renewed levy is estimated to produce $99.9 million for Portland Public Schools in school year 2020-2021. The proposed levy renewal would:
Fund teaching positions and classroom supports at every school in the district
- The funds help support a well-rounded education, with enrichments for elementary and middle grades and electives in varied interest areas and disciplines for high school students.
- The funds help support career and technical programs and STEM programs, including computer science education, so students can graduate with the skills necessary to be career or college ready.
- Over the past five years, the levy funded an average of 825 teaching positions annually. If approved, that average will be maintained.
- Academic support for struggling students is included.
Continue to provide fiscal accountability and independent oversight
- This renewal maintains the existing local option levy rate of $1.99 per $1,000 assessed value and ensures that all funds raised are directed to the voter-approved purpose of supporting schools.
- This local option requires independent citizen oversight so that tax dollars are used only for purposes approved by local voters.
- Funds will be placed in an sub-account to ensure their correct use and accurate reporting.
- No funds from this local option levy will be used for district administration.
Maintain the existing tax rate of $1.99 per $1,000 of assessed value
- For a home with an average assessed value of $233,925, the cost would be less than $39 per month, or $465 per year.
This local option levy replaces the one passed by voters in 2014, and maintains the existing tax rate. For a home with an average assessed value of $233,925 and taxed at the maximum levy rate of $1.99 per $1,000 of assessed value, the estimated cost would continue to be about $465 per year or $39 per month.
The timeline for the process:
- Friday, Aug 16, 2019: Deadline for Special District to file notice of ballot title with County Elections for publication
- Thursday, Sept 5, 2019: Measure filing deadline
- Monday, Sept 9, 2019: Voters' Pamphlet deadline for measure arguments
- Tuesday, Nov 5, 2019: Special Election date