All-Gender Restroom Frequently Asked Questions
All - Gender Restrooms
This FAQ is intended to provide information about why and how to have an existing restroom converted to an all-gender restroom and available to everyone at your school. It is the goal to have all-gender restrooms at every school. This is generally achieved by converting staff-only, single-occupant restrooms to all-gender, public access restrooms.
The primary reason for these restroom conversions is to make a safe place for transgender, gender fluid, and non-binary students, staff, and visitors who wish to have this option. However, these are available for all to use.
How is the District prioritizing?
Currently, the District is prioritizing based on need. If you have a student/staff member who would like to have this option at their school, or if there are an insufficient number of all-gender restrooms relative to the number of students/staff who access them, please let us know.
How do you go about getting one at your school?
Conversions will be paid for by PPS Facilities Projects & Construction.
- Locate one or more restrooms that you want to have converted. A viable restroom shall be a single-use restroom, meaning it has one toilet and one sink, it can also have a urinal, which will not be removed as part of this process. It should be off a main corridor or a space easy to access without permission, requiring a key, or having to go through a potentially occupied space (i.e. not off an office). If only one will be converted, look for one that is easiest to access from a majority of your school. Ideally, it would also be an ADA-accessible restroom.
- Submit a Project Development Request (PDR) to Facilities Projects & Construction. Identify the location of the restroom you would like converted and the school contact person for the project. The PDR can be found here: Projects & Construction PDR Form. If possible, include pictures of the restroom you would like converted. Particularly, pictures of the existing signage and existing locks.
- Projects and Construction will assign a Project Manager and they will coordinate the work with you. All converted restrooms will have the following:
- Updated Signage
- Updated Door Hardware (unless current hardware is already correct)
- Default setting is unlocked all of the time, unless occupied.
- Sanitary Disposal Container
- The restroom will be updated in our space management system as an All-Gender Restroom.
- At this time we cannot commit to a timeframe. If you need an immediate change to address a specific situation, please indicate that on the PDR form.
If your school has any questions or concerns about student behavior, student rights, and/or student, staff and family communications, they should contact the PPS TItle IX Department.
You can reach out directly to Liane O’Banion, Title IX Director, Student Success and Health Department.