PPS Volunteer Painting Projects
Annually, Facilities receives hundreds of requests for volunteer paint projects to freshen and improve the appearance of PPS school buildings. These volunteer efforts can provide benefits to our students and staff. PAINTING ANYTHING AT YOUR SCHOOL MUST BE APPROVED BY FACILITIES FIRST!
- All volunteer efforts must be initiated using Facilities Project Development Request Form; please see the Project Management main web page.
- Facilities requires a 15-day review period from initiation date to project approval for any volunteer painting project.
- All volunteers are required to do a background check if working with students, sign a Release and Waiver of Liability and receive a copy of the Volunteer Code of Conduct. All forms can be found on the Risk Management website.
- The surface you are painting must be checked by Facilities to be sure it is verified for lead and prepped for painting. All nearby areas not to be painted will need to be covered with tape, drop clothes or paper.
- If you are wanting to paint a mural in the school, you must follow the procedures for requesting a project.
- The paint that will be applied must meet the PPS standard colors with the exception of murals, and use the low VOC paint. Options are available on the District Standards site.
- Volunteers are not allowed to use ladders that exceed 6 feet and they must be rated for up to 375 lbs. This will impact the height in which they choose to paint.
Clean up/Touch up
- Facilities requires that any spilled, dripped or splattered paint or paint that covers surfaces not earlier identified as within the painting project scope must be repainted.
- Paint from shoddy workmanship or overspray should not appear on hardware, floors, ceiling tiles, restroom partition walls, lockers or any other surface not requiring or intended to be painted.
- If the volunteers do not meet the standard set forth, Facilities may charge the school's general fund budget to clean or re-paint the project area. Prevailing wages will apply.
- After the job is complete, all painting supplies, materials, and garbage must be removed from the premises. Please check with the Site Administrator regarding unused paint.