Growing Great Schools
Video overview of Portland Public Schools’ work with a community-led advisory committee to right-size schools. Historical context: Growing Great Schools Story Map.
PPS enrollment is steadily rising, presenting an opportunity to address overcrowding and under-enrollment for strong schools in every neighborhood.
Fall 2015: PPS and District-wide Boundary Review Advisory Committee (DBRAC) draft and seek public input on proposals for balancing enrollment. April-June: Superintendent, DBRAC collaborate on new boundaries/feeders for new middle schools launching in 2017. Jan. 2016: DBRAC makes recommendations to Superintendent on West Side boundaries and a framework for reconfiguring K-8 schools. Late Fall 2016: Superintendent presents recommendations to school board for boundaries/feeders for new middle schools. Feb./March: Superintendent seeks additional input, makes final proposal to school board. Spring 2017: Superintendent, DBRAC collaborate on new boundaries/feeders for new middle schools launching in 2018. March/April: Board deliberates, seeks comment and votes.
April 2016 - ongoing
School board considers superintendent's recommendations
March - April 2016
Share your views with the school board:
Public hearings are at BESC, 501 N. Dixon St., 97227.
- March 30, 6 pm to 8 pm. Video of hearing.
- April 5, 5 pm to 7 pm. School board meeting follows at 7 pm. Board considers opening Ockley Green MS.
April 12, 6 pm: School board considers West Side program and boundary changes. View map and KPI's reflecting additional portion of Bridlemile boundary that would continue to feed from West Sylvan to Lincoln rather than to Wilson High School.
April 19, 6 pm: School board to consider additional, requested analysis from staff about options for balancing west side enrollment.
April 19/Final Board Decision, West Side: The school board approved modified boundary and program changes to relieve overcrowding at West Side schools. Final Resolution
GO TO Growing Great Schools II: Implementation for details of west side final changes.
Superintendent forges final recommendations
Jan. - March 2016
Superintendent's Recommendations: March 29
District-wide Enrollment Balancing Recommendations/Carole Smith, Superintendent
Superintendent’s Recommendations for Enrollment Balancing, Grade Reconfiguration
Recomendaciones de la Superintendente para equilibrar la matricula en las escuelas, la reconfiguración de grados
Các đề nghị của Giám Đốc Sở Học Chánh để cân bằng sĩ số học sinh, tái cấu hình cấp lớp
Рекомендации заведующей округом по более равномерному комплектованию школ и по преобразованию программ
Talooyin Kormeeraha Guud ee Dheelitirka Diiwaangalinta, Fasalka qaabeynta
Superintendent's Scenario: March 9
East Side: Key Performance Indicators/Capacity Analysis
West Side: KPI's/Capacity Analysis
Superintendent's Path to Final Recommendations
- Feb. 25, 6 pm to 8 pm, 6651 SW Capitol Hwy: Seeking feedback from Spanish-speaking families on proposed West Side changes. Meeting in Spanish w/ English interpretation. Video of meeting.
- March 1, 6 pm to 8 pm, Ockley Green, 6031 N. Montana. Seeking feedback on community proposal to make Ockley Green a middle school in Fall 2016. Video of meeting. Video of meeting. Meeting notes.
- March 9, 4 pm, BESC, 501 N. Dixon St. Superintendent will present to District-wide Boundary Review Advisory Committee a draft of proposed changes to current recommendations. No public comment. Meeting is open to the public and will be streamed live and broadcast on TV Channel 28. Draft proposal will be posted here. Meeting Agenda; Video of meeting.
- March 15, 6:30 to 8 pm, Robert Gray Middle School 5505 SW 23rd Ave. Interpretation in Spanish and Somali.PowerPoint; Video of meeting. Meeting notes
- March 16, 6:30 to 8 pm, Hosford Middle School, 2303 SE 28th Place. Interpretation in Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Somali and Russian. Childcare will be provided at all meetings. PowerPoint; Video of meeting.
- March 29: 6 pm, 501 N. Dixon St. Superintendent presents final recommendations to the school board. Recommendations will encompass West Side boundary and program changes; additional details about the reconfiguration of K-8 schools into K-5s and middle schools, and implementation guidance and recommended timelines for proposed changes district-wide. Meeting is streamed live.
East Sylvan Building Conditions: Proposed home for Odyssey K-8
District-wide Boundary Review Advisory Committee makes recommendations
Nov. 2014 - Jan. 2016
DBRAC recommended a framework for reconfiguring most K-8s to K-5s and Middle Schools. (See final report) Next: Deciding grade configurations for schools and feeder patterns through high school.